Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2014, 04:53:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2014, 04:37:28 PM
It does, but that doesn't really help getting them jobs again.  In fact, it's counter productive.  People who are humiliated daily become depressed and are less likely to find work.

It would provide motivation for me to find a job.  I'd dig ditches to avoid being on welfare.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

People seem to think that being on welfare or receiving charity is an active life-choice, like taking up jogging or eating more fish.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 06:01:32 PM
People seem to think that being on welfare or receiving charity is an active life-choice, like taking up jogging or eating more fish.

I look at it this way.  If someone is out of work, out of money, out of support from friends and family, then he really doesn't have much choice but to receive welfare or charity. 

But if we go back a few years or decades, the picture maybe different.  Did he study hard at school or university?  Did he spend too much and save too little?  Did he try hard enough to find a job?

It is conceivable that somebody made all the "right" choices but still end up in an impossible situation.  It is also conceivable that someone made a lot of poor choices and now suffer from the consequences from said choices. 

DontSayBanana

:yes: I've even heard a few conservatards try to spin it as single moms trying deliberately to get knocked up multiple times for the welfare checks.
Experience bij!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2014, 08:44:27 PM

I look at it this way.  If someone is out of work, out of money, out of support from friends and family, then he really doesn't have much choice but to receive welfare or charity. 

But if we go back a few years or decades, the picture maybe different.  Did he study hard at school or university?  Did he spend too much and save too little?  Did he try hard enough to find a job?

It is conceivable that somebody made all the "right" choices but still end up in an impossible situation.  It is also conceivable that someone made a lot of poor choices and now suffer from the consequences from said choices.

So what lesson are we supposed to draw from this thought experiment?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Monoriu

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 16, 2014, 09:05:19 PM

That we don't have enough information to say "it is a choice" or it is not?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2014, 09:12:03 PM

And if it is a choice..?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Monoriu

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 16, 2014, 09:39:22 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 16, 2014, 09:12:03 PM

And if it is a choice..?

I don't think we can ever find out.  The cost to look at each person's life and attribute fault before the government will release welfare is prohibitive.  We'll just have to continue doing what is practical and release welfare on a bare minimum basis.

Valmy

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 16, 2014, 08:59:49 PM

:yes: I've even heard a few conservatards try to spin it as single moms trying deliberately to get knocked up multiple times for the welfare checks.

I have had people tell me they were carrying out this plan but it seems like a dodgy one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2014, 04:07:20 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 16, 2014, 11:03:36 AM
Are food banks an inferior form of charity to welfare?
Welfare isn't charity. Part of the reason we established a welfare state was to remove the inefficiency and humiliation of charity.
How is charity recieved from the state any less humilating than charity recieved from an individual?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

In Sweden it's a choice to be poor. Education is free, and getting a decent education is a simple and convenient way to avoid being poor (even though it is unlikely to make you rich).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 16, 2014, 11:22:30 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2014, 04:07:20 PM
Quote from: Maximus on April 16, 2014, 11:03:36 AM
Are food banks an inferior form of charity to welfare?
Welfare isn't charity. Part of the reason we established a welfare state was to remove the inefficiency and humiliation of charity.
How is charity recieved from the state any less humilating than charity recieved from an individual?

In principle it is an insurance system that we have here in the UK. While you are working you pay National Insurance, in return you get money off the state for sickness, unemployment and an old age pension.

In practice successive governments have broken or weakened the insurance link so that most of these payments will come regardless of contributions. In addition those that have made large contributions for, say, several decades, get little in the way of special treatment................unfortunate for those that have made large contributions and experience misfortune only to receive miserly benefits.

In any event, because of this insurance principle it is not perceived as charity from the state, it is an entitlement.