Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteThe Mirror's Crying Child Photo – Not All That it Seems by Dan Barker

Here's the front cover of the Daily Mirror. A haunting image of a starving British child, crying their eyes out.

Only... the child is from the Bay Area, and the photo was purchased from Flickr via Getty Images...

Here's the source of the original image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/laurenrosenbaum/4084544644/ (Here's a happier one taken the following day: https://www.flickr.com/photos/laurenrosenbaum/4086511962/. Apparently she was crying over an earthworm.)

An excellent photo, taken by the excellent Lauren Rosenbaum in November 2009, shared on a US website (Flickr), sold by an American photo agency (Getty Images), used to illustrate poverty in Britain.

Does it matter that the photo is not really a starving child?
    Does it matter that the photo wasn't even taken in the UK?
    Is there an ethical issue in buying a stock photo of a child – not in poverty – and using it to illustrate poverty?
    Does it matter that the headline begins "Britain, 2014″, but the photo is actually "USA, 2009″

Brazen

All things considered, I'd argue that's more ethical than taking a photo of a starving British child crying at a food bank, should such a scenario ever occur.

grumbler

I don't see the big deal.  There's no one above the age of seven who believes in Santa Claus or British tabloid "journalism."  The picture is likely the most authentic thing on that front page.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 16, 2014, 06:22:55 AM
I don't see the big deal.  There's no one above the age of seven who believes in Santa Clause or British tabloid "journalism."  The picture is likely the most authentic thing on that front page.

Lawyers believe in the Santa Clause.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2014, 06:35:30 AM
I don't see the big deal.  There's no one above the age of seven who believes in Santa Clause or British tabloid "journalism."  The picture is likely the most authentic thing on that front page.

:lol:  Touche.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2014, 06:35:30 AM

^_^

Neil

It's newspaper art for a story.  Why would any of that matter?  And why would we be surprised that a rich country would hand out lots of food assistance?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

In German papers use of stock photo is usually credited as such, if it's a somewhat reputable paper.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on April 16, 2014, 07:51:04 AM
It's newspaper art for a story.  Why would any of that matter?  And why would we be surprised that a rich country would hand out lots of food assistance?

Yeah I didn't get that either.  We are rich so WHY ARE WE HELPING THE POOR???!!11  Let them eat cake.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 16, 2014, 08:33:42 AM
Yeah I didn't get that either.  We are rich so WHY ARE WE HELPING THE POOR???!!11  Let them eat cake.
We as a country are rich. There shouldn't be people depending on charity for their food.

Food banks in this country barely existed before the recession and the government's changes to welfare (the largest cause for referral is that someone's not received their benefits in time).
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2014, 08:59:57 AM
We as a country are rich. There shouldn't be people depending on charity for their food.

Ah well we have the mentally ill, ex-convicts who cannot get jobs or receive welfare, drug addicts and substance abusers of other stripes, and all the dependents of the above.  Plenty of people who either cannot get welfare or are incapable of benefiting from it.  Charity is going to have an important place in our society.  Also to an American those seem like tiny numbers but I realize your country is 1/5th the size of ours.

QuoteFood banks in this country barely existed before the recession and the government's changes to welfare (the largest cause for referral is that someone's not received their benefits in time).

Unemployment and rising sovereign debt levels will do that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Maximus

Food banks in this country barely existed before the recession and the government's changes to welfare (the largest cause for referral is that someone's not received their benefits in time).
Are food banks an inferior form of charity to welfare?

Norgy

If I said food banks exist in Oslo, Norway, would you believe me? The influx of Schengen citizens with no work has led to that, along with a growing number of domestic poor.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on April 16, 2014, 11:18:30 AM
If I said food banks exist in Oslo, Norway, would you believe me? The influx of Schengen citizens with no work has led to that, along with a growing number of domestic poor.

Odd I guess I always pictured Norway like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8ffohVdAbY

Norgy