Mirror uses stock image of American child for front page UK foodbanks story

Started by Brazen, April 16, 2014, 06:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 01:00:49 PM
They didn't credit a stock photo? BFD.

The point is the photo is not a Blighty stock photo but of a God Damn Foreigner.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on April 16, 2014, 11:03:36 AM
Are food banks an inferior form of charity to welfare?
Welfare isn't charity. Part of the reason we established a welfare state was to remove the inefficiency and humiliation of charity.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2014, 04:07:20 PM
Welfare isn't charity. Part of the reason we established a welfare state was to remove the inefficiency and humiliation of charity.

...and replace it with the inefficiency and humiliation* of welfare :P

*well they ought to feel humiliated
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2014, 04:13:00 PM
Btw when you yell at poor people, is that inefficient?

No because I'm usually on my way somewhere when I'm doing it.  I multitask.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

I see a distinction without a difference.

TBH I really dislike this dichotomy. You see it in the opposite direction here a lot, like private charity is somehow morally superior to public, or vice versa. You have an organization formed by the citizenry to fulfill certain purposes including helping the poor. Why does it matter whether it is a government or not? If it is inefficient or humiliating that is a matter of administration.

derspiess

The Freestore Foodbank around here does a pretty good job of getting food to poor people.  We have food drives in our office and they're fun to participate in.  Gives me a warmer feeling than paying taxes.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2014, 04:11:40 PM

...and replace it with the inefficiency and humiliation* of welfare :P

*well they ought to feel humiliated

It does, but that doesn't really help getting them jobs again.  In fact, it's counter productive.  People who are humiliated daily become depressed and are less likely to find work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on April 16, 2014, 04:26:44 PM
I see a distinction without a difference.
Well in terms of inefficiency the most popular charities in this country (and donations are about 0.7% of GDP) are animals, kids and cancer, in that order. That's great, but actually lots of the most needy don't fall into those three categories. Charity is fine as a supplement in some way, but it'll always be dependant on the desires of donee rather than where help is actually needed. The sad truth is a donkey sanctuary will always get far more money than most people-charities.

Also it's always insufficient. Even the most well-intentioned liberal philanthropists, like a Rowntree or a Toynbee, can do no more than put a sticking plaster on poverty. Personally I'd also add that I have cut back on a lot of charities I used to donate to, including Oxfam and the RSPCA, because they seem to be getting a lot more political and about 'campaigns' and less about actually doing things. I'm a lot more mistrustful of charities than I was and I know other people in my family feel the same. That's a more modern problem perhaps, but it's there.

As to the other issue, I'd try and reclaim 'entitlement' as a good word. We are entitled to welfare because we have paid into the system or because of something in our circumstances. As a society we have decided that if you are made redundant, are unable to work or are old that we will look after you and you won't need to rely on the whims of noblesse oblige and the private generosity of a few. Maybe charity never had that connotation in the US or Canada, but here a part of setting up the welfare state was about dignity. That we will educate our young, care for our sick and our elderly, look after those out of work and that those people will have dignity and not have to go, as they did in the 30s, to charities and the well-to-do to meet their basic needs.

More importantly in this case as I say we've never really had food banks before and the ones we have you need to be referred to by a GP or the Citizens Advice Bureau. This is novel and I think it's a disgrace that we're back at this. It's also striking that there's lots of reports that the Chancellor (who's hardly a red) is very worried about the competence of the ministers at the DWP.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2014, 04:37:28 PM
It does, but that doesn't really help getting them jobs again.  In fact, it's counter productive.  People who are humiliated daily become depressed and are less likely to find work.

It would provide motivation for me to find a job.  I'd dig ditches to avoid being on welfare.

Valmy

Where are you going to get this fancy ditch digging job?  They have machines that do that now.