Birmingham probes Muslim takeover of schools 'plot'

Started by garbon, April 14, 2014, 04:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2015, 03:26:03 AM
Well, Americans think it's 15 times more. :P

If you take CAIR's estimate of 6-7 million Muslims in the US that number gets cut in half.  :sleep:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Gups

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2015, 03:28:01 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 03:27:02 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 13, 2015, 03:16:34 AM
I assume that the question asked was not really "Out of 100 people how many do you think are Muslim", because, if it was, then 21 is pretty close to the actual figure  :hmm:

No, it's 5* (this was a national poll, not just B'ham)

*as at 2011 census

I think Tricky Dick meant that globally around 20% of people are muslim - and the question as reported by the Guarniad makes no reference to a specific country or area, just "people".

"Out of every 100 people in [Country]"

This seems to be a reference to a specific country, presumably the country the respondent is resident. in

Martinus

Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 04:09:19 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2015, 03:28:01 AM
Quote from: Gups on January 13, 2015, 03:27:02 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 13, 2015, 03:16:34 AM
I assume that the question asked was not really "Out of 100 people how many do you think are Muslim", because, if it was, then 21 is pretty close to the actual figure  :hmm:

No, it's 5* (this was a national poll, not just B'ham)

*as at 2011 census

I think Tricky Dick meant that globally around 20% of people are muslim - and the question as reported by the Guarniad makes no reference to a specific country or area, just "people".

"Out of every 100 people in [Country]"

This seems to be a reference to a specific country, presumably the country the respondent is resident. in

Look at what the text over the graph says. It doesn't add the "country" reference.

Gups

I can't see the graph (assuming its the red X at Seedy's post), but Mori clearly asked UK residents how many Muslims they thought were in the UK. The average was 21% and the reality is 5%. This is clear from Mori's report of it's own findings

Quote2.Muslims: we hugely over-estimate the proportion of Muslims in Britain – we think one in five British people are Muslims (21%) when the actual figure is 5% (one in twenty).

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3466/Perceptions-are-not-reality-10-things-the-world-gets-wrong.aspx

Martinus

That's fine. The graph says "Out of 100 people, how many do you think are Muslim?". I think RH, like most people, read the headline over the graph rather than the entire article.

Gups

[statto nerd] Actually if you look at the tabs for the survey, it's very much open to challenge. The responses were put into deciles (i.e. between 0 & 10 etc) and then averaged.  Since the Muslim population of GB is 5% this method means that it is impossible to underestimate the percentage and, it would require 100% of people to respond "between 0 & 10%) for the correct answer to be reached. In fact, about 30% answered within the 0 to 10 range  with 25% as don't knows. [/statto nerd]

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2015, 02:11:26 AM
Edit: and :D at Americans. Maybe people assume that black = muslim, as 15% is close to the estimate of the black populace in the US. :D

No, it's probably due to the high number of encounters at convenience stores, gas stations and take-out joints the average American has with the Muslim population that results in extrapolating the population. Because unlike Europe, our Muslims are actually allowed to have jobs or even own businesses, we don't keep them in penned up in ghettos.

garbon

Isn't this the same as the iconographic from last week published by the Economist? I think Syt reposted that in the Islamophobia thread.

Good to see the Guarniad steal other people's material. :P

Both sources did include data that they attributed to Ipsos, yes. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 06:48:02 AM
Edit: and :D at Americans. Maybe people assume that black = muslim, as 15% is close to the estimate of the black populace in the US. :D

No, it's probably due to the high number of encounters at convenience stores, gas stations and take-out joints the average American has with the Muslim population that results in extrapolating the population. Because unlike Europe, our Muslims are actually allowed to have jobs or even own businesses, we don't keep them in penned up in ghettos.

Don't be ridiculous. I don't know about other European cities, but at least in Paris or London you can't walk into a store, a cafe or an office without encountering at least a couple of women who work there wearing a hijab.

CountDeMoney

"Don't be ridiculous", says the "Maybe people assume that black = muslim" guy from the assbackwards eastern European dirt farm.

How's that whole unemployment rate going with Muslim immigrants in Europe these days?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 11:00:04 AM
"Don't be ridiculous", says the "Maybe people assume that black = muslim" guy from the assbackwards eastern European dirt farm.

The line about black = muslim was a jab at stupidity of Americans, not a statement of fact.  :rolleyes:

QuoteHow's that whole unemployment rate going with Muslim immigrants in Europe these days?

I guess it depends on a country and its economy. I would guess unemployment rates among Muslim immigrants in London is lower than it is among people below 30 in Spain.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2015, 11:42:07 AM
The line about black = muslim was a jab at stupidity of Americans, not a statement of fact.  :rolleyes:

When you're no longer Polish, then maybe you can goof on the stupidity of Americans.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 06:48:02 AM

Obviously you've never been to France with the classic Arab grocery open all the time to get some overpriced beer or wine since it's the only way to survive versus the supermarkets since they cannot compete on a price basis.
Not like we needed a reminder though.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 13, 2015, 12:09:15 PM
Obviously you've never been to France with the classic Arab grocery open all the time to get some overpriced beer or wine since it's the only way to survive versus the supermarkets since they cannot compete on a price basis.

How's that whole unemployment rate going with Muslim immigrants in Europe these days?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 12:13:22 PM

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2015, 12:13:22 PM

Way lower than Gypsies' unemployment. Glad you asked. :) Yet, Gypsies if legally arrived ( a big if I know) can have jobs and are even allowed to own business, like muslim immigrants.
Guess what, the new tracksuit crowd is not that big into hard work (say construction industry), unlike their parents, grand-parents or even grand-grand parents. With little place or credit given to education among them, problems follow. It's not like the earlier waves of immigration did not run into problems. Some waves arriving at the same time did not get into the same troubles for some reason...