News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

4 Stages of Islamic Conquest

Started by Siege, January 12, 2015, 12:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Le Samourai's a problem, because the disc Netflix is passing around is busted.  If it gets a Criterion blu-ray release, I'll probably pick it up blind, based on its influence: Ghost Dog and Drive can't be wrong.  Anyway, isn't Melville more like proto-New Wave?  He just made movies people might want to watch.  I liked Bob le Flambeur pretty well, except for the fact it's a heist movie [spoiler]with no Goddamned heist[/spoiler].
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2015, 06:00:16 PM
Ahem.  To political Islam.

Well... they all seem to favour the overthrow of the current order, possibly through violent means, to institute a new order that will lead to a promised ideal state.

It's not completely far fetched, though obviously a lot of details differ :)

QuoteAnyway, any communist who still believes in the withering of the State is an idiot.

It would require strong faith indeed.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Ideologue on January 13, 2015, 06:48:11 PM
Le Samourai's a problem, because the disc Netflix is passing around is busted.  If it gets a Criterion blu-ray release, I'll probably pick it up blind, based on its influence: Ghost Dog and Drive can't be wrong.  Anyway, isn't Melville more like proto-New Wave?  He just made movies people might want to watch.  I liked Bob le Flambeur pretty well, except for the fact it's a heist movie [spoiler]with no Goddamned heist[/spoiler].

Add in John Woo's the Killer for le Samouraï, probably the most famous and influential movie it inspired. That's John Woo's best period for you, the Hong Kong years.

Yep, proto and godfather of the New wave in way cf. Silence of the sea but he also did some movies close to the New Wave spirit such as Léon Morin.
Hopefully, Criterion releases Le Samouraï on blu-ray with proper authoring because the first French blu-release was botched, while the second was passable. Cheap to get nowadays but no English subtitles anyways, and there has been some trouble in recognising both editions with recalls.
If you're a heist fanatic there's always le Cercle Rouge for you, can't remember if you reviewed it or not.

As for the heist question in Bob le Flambeur, that's the point of the movie, genre movies may be sometimes not that formulaic.