Pulp's "Common People" named best britpop song.

Started by The Larch, April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Surely on the British count of amazing alternative bands one has to include Radiohead?

Norgy

"Not Britpop", I suppose.
But, yeah, Karma Police or High and Dry should be there.

celedhring

I was talking about the ensuing thread discussion about yank vs brit bands, but yeah, I'd say "Creep" is a great song from the 90s - it got plenty of airtime over here.

Iormlund

If we're spilling into other genres, electronic music comes to mind. And the Yanks don't stand a chance: Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim ...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Iormlund on April 12, 2014, 05:33:18 AM
If we're spilling into other genres, electronic music comes to mind. And the Yanks don't stand a chance: Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim ...

Considering our massive advantage in hiphop, r&b, country and jazz, I think it behooves the Brits to keep the focus on rock.

I also think Britain has squandered its early advantage by having few bands of import emerge since 1980 and even fewer since 1990. Britain's top 4 rock bands of the 90s aren't even as good as Seattle's top 4 rock bands of the 90s. Radiohead and Oasis are ok, but hardly worthy of iconography. Considering this is a country that gave the world the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Elton John and David Bowie all in the span of about a decade, they can do much better.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2014, 06:52:26 AM

Considering our massive advantage in hiphop, r&b, country and jazz, I think it behooves the Brits to keep the focus on rock.

I also think Britain has squandered its early advantage by having few bands of import emerge since 1980 and even fewer since 1990. Britain's top 4 rock bands of the 90s aren't even as good as Seattle's top 4 rock bands of the 90s. Radiohead and Oasis are ok, but hardly worthy of iconography. Considering this is a country that gave the world the Beatles, the Stones, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Elton John and David Bowie all in the span of about a decade, they can do much better.

I sort of agree. Radiohead may be on the level of influence of Pearl Jam. Oasis was huge in 1994-95-96. Then they sort of petered out after starting to believe their own hype. None of the typical britpop bands have made much of a lasting impression. It's worth noting that Happy Mondays and Pulp were earlier than most of what is considered the britpop heyday.

For me, with no horse in the race, I like both American and British music. Even Swedish.

Josquius

Sweden is factually and quality wise number 3
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 12, 2014, 06:52:26 AM

I think 'we' can deservedly rest on our laurels.   :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Queequeg

You forgot the biggies in NY mind; Gary Numan and Brian Eno.

However, our advantage in Hip Hop, R&B, Motown and Jazz is near total.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Norgy

Ideologue

Quote from: Norgy on April 12, 2014, 04:40:28 AM
I also miss being size M and 32/32.

Preach it. :(

Although technically I can still fit in a 32 waist.  And have had to due to a refusal to wholsesale replace my dress clothes. :grr:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)