Pulp's "Common People" named best britpop song.

Started by The Larch, April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2014, 11:10:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 11, 2014, 10:55:23 PM
and there's Estelle though perhaps you would ghettoize her into hip-hop (aka black pop).

Why would I categorize anybody who duets with Sean Paul and Kanye West as "black pop"?  Don't be silly.

That reminds me. I was thinking about how she sampled Faith and....George Michael!!! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I liked Freedom, personally.  Burning the Faith jacket = pretty cool.

OK, George gets a pass for BritPop.

citizen k

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 11, 2014, 08:29:56 PM
Solid choice :)

Not the best Pulp song, but probably their most iconic one.

I was a kid when all the Britpop stuff was happening. I always liked Pulp the most. In retrospect I think preferring the rather dapper Jarvis Cocker to the Gallaghers and Blur was probably an early sign of flaming homosexuality :lol:

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2014, 10:54:20 PM
QuoteBritain sucks in a lot of ways, but alternative music is one area where we truly are the best.
You punch above your weight, that doesn't make you better than America.  We have Nirvana, Pixies, The Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Talking Heads and the God-King of all Alternative and Indie Rock, The Velvet Underground. 
Joy Division >>>>> Nirvana (Hate Nirvana)
The Smiths = Pixies (very different but of an era and equally good)
The Strokes- yeah, no equivalent band with a similar feel comes to mind for me. America was best for those few years.
Bloc Party > Yeah Yeah Yeahs
David Bowie/Gang of Four > Talking Heads
The Beatles> Velvet Underground (never really liked VU TBH...nor the Beatles but meh)

America has a better track record with rap and other stuff (historically at least...modern rap...no), but alt rock is Britain's.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on April 11, 2014, 11:32:14 PM
Joy Division >>>>> Nirvana

Apples /= Oranges

Quote(Hate Nirvana)

Hate you back.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

QuoteThe Smiths = Pixies (very different but of an era and equally good)
Not really.  Pixies were way better, and they are pretty much of the same era-3 years between The Smiths and Come On, Pilgrim
QuoteBloc Party > Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Completely wrong.  Karen O is a far greater presence, and Fever to Tell as responsible for the 2000s Indie music takeoff as any single album, including The Strokes' Is This It.  Bloc Party is stupid.
QuoteDavid Bowie/Gang of Four > Talking Heads
Apples/oranges.  Bowie is a light unto generations, and close to singular in his dominance over multiple decades of pop, and then as his honored position of Godfather for Indie acts like TV on the Radio, but Talking Heads is maybe the best New Wave band, par non.  Though TBH I think an argument can be made that Talking Heads was both British and American.
QuoteThe Beatles> Velvet Underground (never really liked VU TBH...nor the Beatles but meh)
1) I don't agree with this
2) You said Alternative.  VU created Alternative. 

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I have to say I like The Smiths better than The Pixies.

I agree that David Bowie to Talking Heads is a very odd comparison.

For the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, I actually think It's Blitz is the more interesting album.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on April 11, 2014, 11:49:20 PM
QuoteThe Smiths = Pixies (very different but of an era and equally good)
Not really.  Pixies were way better, and they are pretty much of the same era-3 years between The Smiths and Come On, Pilgrim
Disagree.
Both are great but with Pixies...I don't know. Listen to several (definitely not all) of the albums and it is just rather bland. The Smiths, maybe due to burning so bright so quickly, don't have much of this. There's just something about The Smiths that makes them so much more iconic too, perhaps going beyond music here.
Completely wrong.  Karen O is a far greater presence, and Fever to Tell as responsible for the 2000s Indie music takeoff as any single album, including The Strokes' Is This It.  Bloc Party is stupid.
I totally give the 2000s revival honour to The Strokes (and The White Stripes). With some credit to Franz Ferdinand for the art rock thing.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs...they're on the fringe of the big names for me

Apples/oranges.  Bowie is a light unto generations, and close to singular in his dominance over multiple decades of pop, and then as his honored position of Godfather for Indie acts like TV on the Radio, but Talking Heads is maybe the best New Wave band, par non.  Though TBH I think an argument can be made that Talking Heads was both British and American.
I came up with two better than the Talking Heads as I couldnt' think of an exact British approximation. Gang of Four were for the rockier stuff and Bowie for the pop.
Talking Heads...They have some great songs, but they go too far down the pop route overall and on average don't come out so well.
1) I don't agree with this
2) You said Alternative.  VU created Alternative. 
The Beatles created 'altnerative' too with their later and weirder stuff.
Perhaps The Who would be a better comparison due to their rockier and more rebellious image.
The Velvet Underground just didn't have too much direct influence in the UK. Only via a very round about route of influencing American punk does it eventually reach our music.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM
And rightly so.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26990999

QuoteCommon People by Pulp is voted top Britpop anthem

Pulp hit Common People has been voted the top Britpop anthem by listeners of BBC Radio 6 Music, beating Oasis, Blur and Suede to take the title.

DJ Steve Lamacq revealed the top 30 as part of a week-long celebration to mark the 20th birthday of Britpop.

More than 30,000 people voted, with The Verve's Bittersweet Symphony second and Oasis tracks Don't Look Back in Anger and Wonderwall in third and fourth.

Their chart rivals Blur were in fifth place with Parklife.

QuoteBBC Radio 6 Music's Favourite Britpop Anthem

Common People by Pulp
    Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
    Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis
    Wonderwall by Oasis
    Parklife by Blur
    Animal Nitrate by Suede
    Girls & Boys by Blur
    Slight Return by The Bluetones
    Disco 2000 by Pulp
    Girl From Mars by Ash

Decent list. Though I would have liked to see Blur's Country House up there - but I guess it's not as popular as Boys & Girls or Parklife.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 11, 2014, 07:05:42 PM
Wonderwall and Song 2 are the best.

Common People's not even the best Pulp song.

Yep.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Norgy

Quote from: The Larch on April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

QuoteBBC Radio 6 Music's Favourite Britpop Anthem

Common People by Pulp
    Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
    Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis
    Wonderwall by Oasis
    Parklife by Blur
    Animal Nitrate by Suede
    Girls & Boys by Blur
    Slight Return by The Bluetones
    Disco 2000 by Pulp
    Girl From Mars by Ash

Too much Suede. Ash' "Girl From Mars" was brilliant. And The Verve...  :yucky: :glare:

Norgy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 11, 2014, 10:51:21 PM
Two out of three aren't bad.  But I don't consider them BritPop.

Me neither. Britpop had a specific timeframe; the early to late 90s. Also, the bands were what had earlier been categorised as indie bands.

Now, the Brits churn out "indie" bands at an alarming rate. It's like the music industry has an almost incestious relationship with indie bands.

I miss the 90s. The dark clothes, bootcut jeans. Going to smoke-filled clubs where it was hard to see the difference between those who wore ugly clothes ironically and those who admittedly had poor taste.
I also miss being size M and 32/32.