Pulp's "Common People" named best britpop song.

Started by The Larch, April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I hate you kids and your music. Get off my lawn.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 13, 2014, 07:29:44 PM

It ain't your lawn grandpa, so fuck off to your old-age home.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on April 13, 2014, 07:30:35 PM

No,u fuck off. Infinity +1

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 13, 2014, 07:33:53 PM

No,u fuck off. Infinity +1

:lol:

Your math skills win the day, even with the minus points for being unable to spell "you" :hug:

Josquius

Ash are fairly well known, I bet most people have heard some of their signs even if they don't know the name.
Bluestones are just a bizzare inclusion, even I've barely heard of them nd this is my favourite type of music.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Is it a federal or state lawn?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2014, 05:11:29 PMIt was on a Nike commercial, but you were probably like 6 years old. /shrug

Err, did you mean Bittersweet Symphony or Common People?

common people. bittersweet symphony is a-ok

Capetan Mihali

As much as I'm a class warrior, I kind of think "Common People" is, lyrically, a supreme cheap shot (Spoiled students? Check. Continental eurotrash? Check. Clueless posers? Check.), as well as a supremely fanciful narrative.  Maybe Britain is really like this, I don't know, but a pampered aristocratic lady buying drinks for a working-class hunk in a pub and then asking him to take her around and show her what it's like to be not-rich and probably lay her a few times along the way... strains credibility for me.

And if it's fanciful, it does hark back to some great cultural touchstones ("Lady Chatterly's Lover," Angry Young Men/kitchen-sink dramas), but it's not a fantasy I find all that engaging.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Brazen

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 09:43:37 AM
As much as I'm a class warrior, I kind of think "Common People" is, lyrically, a supreme cheap shot (Spoiled students? Check. Continental eurotrash? Check. Clueless posers? Check.), as well as a supremely fanciful narrative.  Maybe Britain is really like this, I don't know, but a pampered aristocratic lady buying drinks for a working-class hunk in a pub and then asking him to take her around and show her what it's like to be not-rich and probably lay her a few times along the way... strains credibility for me.
I know a lot of working class lads who've shagged way above their station by being the only ones in the pub to chat up the foreign chicks.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Brazen on April 14, 2014, 09:48:09 AMI know a lot of working class lads who've shagged way above their station by being the only ones in the pub to chat up the foreign chicks.

Well sure, but did said lads take said foreign birds along to Tesco's to show them what 99p frozen pies look like while making their way back to bed? :P
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Gups

I've always understood it to be a response to the Britpop glamorisation of working class culture (especially Blur).

I think it's a great song, very well orchestrated.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Gups on April 14, 2014, 09:53:57 AM
I've always understood it to be a response to the Britpop glamorisation of working class culture (especially Blur).

Hmm, never thought of it that way.  I don't know Britpop well enough, but there was certainly a general media glamorization in the form of "lad culture" (mk. 1), wasn't there?

And on the topic of Britpop bands more generally, any love out there for Denim?  Poor Lawrence has had a hard time, but I still think he's kind of a genius.  Felt are one of my favorites. 

Jacob

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 14, 2014, 09:58:43 AM
Hmm, never thought of it that way.  I don't know Britpop well enough, but there was certainly a general media glamorization in the form of "lad culture" (mk. 1), wasn't there?

I don't think it was mk. 1 when it comes to the glamorization of "lad culture". I mean, in many ways working class youths in Britain seem to serve the same cultural function as Black subcultures do in the US - as a font of co-optable creativity and "authenticity". If you look at any of the distinct subcultures coming out of Britain in the last fifty years at least, most of them came from working class youths, most of them had laddish qualities to them, and most of them were glamorized in various ways as they grew in popularity.

Grey Fox

I missed this thread previously.

The top 10 list is a good list but the #1 choice is criminal. The Verve & BSS is miles more iconic than Pulp.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Norgy

Quote from: Gups on April 14, 2014, 09:53:57 AM

I think it's a great song, very well orchestrated.

Wouldn't the lowbrow Gallaghers be more of the glamorisation kind? Blur consisted mostly of arts students from Essex, if I am not mistaken.