Pulp's "Common People" named best britpop song.

Started by The Larch, April 11, 2014, 06:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 11, 2014, 08:41:37 PM

QuoteBBC Radio 6 Music's Favourite Britpop Anthem

Common People by Pulp
    Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve
    Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis
    Wonderwall by Oasis
    Parklife by Blur
    Animal Nitrate by Suede
    Girls & Boys by Blur
    Slight Return by The Bluetones
    Disco 2000 by Pulp
    Girl From Mars by Ash
The only band on this list I've heard of is Oasis.

How young are you.

To the OP, good choice.  :thumbsup:

Norgy

I think the question should be how old are we.  :Embarrass:

After flicking through my CD collection (yes, we bought music in a physical format before), I found outrageous amounts of British and American indie and punk.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on April 13, 2014, 03:17:33 PM
After flicking through my CD collection (yes, we bought music in a physical format before), I found outrageous amounts of British and American indie and punk.

:thumbsup:

Iormlund

Quote from: Warspite on April 13, 2014, 06:25:13 AM
There's also the point that really Europe as a whole got bored with guitar-based music and creative talent seems to go into the electronic genres. So in East London where the exciting stuff happens, it's all about snyths, snyths and more synths. Fucking hipsters.

Huh? Brit electronic music scene pre-dates hipsters by a few decades.

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on April 13, 2014, 03:37:28 PM
Quote from: Warspite on April 13, 2014, 06:25:13 AM
There's also the point that really Europe as a whole got bored with guitar-based music and creative talent seems to go into the electronic genres. So in East London where the exciting stuff happens, it's all about snyths, snyths and more synths. Fucking hipsters.

Huh? Brit electronic music scene pre-dates hipsters by a few decades.

:unsure:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Capetan Mihali

Believe it or not, Tim was a teenager during the mid-late 90s, so of prime age for Britpop.  Not all that much of it made it over to our shores, in my experience, but certainly more than just Oasis.  Blur was big; as garbon said, "Bittersweet Symphony" was in constant FM rotation; I remember seeing that Pulp 'This Is Harcore' promo at every record store I went to for a while...
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Jacob

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 12, 2014, 11:16:24 PMBut the British have always been the best appreciators of that music.  Of American music generally.  Northern Soul obviously, re: Motown/soul, but also the extreme subcultural devotion to country ("C&W"), Dixieland ("trad jazz"), Chicago house, etc., etc.  Not including the oft-retold tale of the 60s subculture interest in blues, rockabilly, hell even "skiffle."

:cheers:

Norgy

The Beatles' first recording was with Tommy Sheridan, who supposedly was a skiffle idol.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 13, 2014, 04:24:23 PM
Believe it or not, Tim was a teenager during the mid-late 90s, so of prime age for Britpop.  Not all that much of it made it over to our shores, in my experience, but certainly more than just Oasis.  Blur was big; as garbon said, "Bittersweet Symphony" was in constant FM rotation; I remember seeing that Pulp 'This Is Harcore' promo at every record store I went to for a while...

Tim was too busy listening to 2pac.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

In the mid 90s, in Vancouver at least, Britpop was somewhat subcultural rather than mainstream. I'd say the various techno/house genres were more popular locally. And, of course, it was the time of the first 80s revivals as well.

LaCroix

i'd never heard of either the song or the band until just now. verdict: sucks

Eddie Teach

Quote from: LaCroix on April 13, 2014, 04:55:37 PM
i'd never heard of either the song or the band until just now. verdict: sucks

It was on a Nike commercial, but you were probably like 6 years old. /shrug

Err, did you mean Bittersweet Symphony or Common People?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Never heard of Ash or Bluetones before so listened to them on YouTube, and now I know why I've never heard of them.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Norgy

<_< I'll have you know Ash' "Girl from Mars" was excellent pop music.