News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2014-2015

Started by sbr, April 10, 2014, 06:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Actually, that isn't even true. I was just looking up Vandy's record. They beat UGA last year, and UGA had a winning recording in the SEC (5-3).

A few things to keep in perspective. Vandy started playing football in 1890, and has been to 7 bowls. James Franklin coached Vandy for 3 years and went to 3 of those 7. Vandy has won 4 bowl games in its history. Franklin won 2 of them.

Both of the last 2 years Franklin was coach he went 9-4. His SEC records those years were 5-3 and 4-4. His last year he beat Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee. The team he took over had gone 2-10 the previous two years, with a combined SEC  record of 1-15.

Franklin's last two Vandy teams finished ranked, the first time that has ever happened. Previously, the last time a team finished the season ranked was 1948.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 18, 2014, 12:05:36 AM
Actually, that isn't even true. I was just looking up Vandy's record. They beat UGA last year, and UGA had a winning recording in the SEC (5-3).

You are correct.  I missed that one.  He has beaten one SEC team with a winning record.  That doesn't change my doubts.  My position remains "we'll see."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on August 17, 2014, 09:53:08 PM
BTW, Berkut, I noticed that your Pac-12 corrspondent is a bit behind the times.  He argued that
QuoteThere is a big reason the other conferences can't [argue that they won't play nine conference games]: They don't want to.
when the Big Ten is doing so next year.  They decided to do so the same year the Pac-12 decided to do so (and for the same reasons:  better football for the fans) but had to put it off for two years because they foolishly decided to add Maryland and Rutgers.

I agree with the argument that the Pac-12 is the second-best conference, though.  The Big Ten won't start challenging that until Michigan and Pen State return to form.  I think that this is the year Michigan starts the return to form, though, and wouldn't be completely flabbergasted if Penn State didn't start the march back this year as well.  I'm just not sold on Franklin yet.  Too much snake oil there.

I've always liked the Big-10. Maybe just because the Rose Bowl thing.

But it is kind of annoying that we get to sit around speculating about who the 2nd best conference is...I think it is the Pac-12 right now, but I think the Pac-12 right now is stronger top to bottom than it has ever been, so I don't know that it will last necessarily.

I wish there was some way to knock the SEC off the throne, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 18, 2014, 01:36:39 AM
I wish there was some way to knock the SEC off the throne, but I just don't see it happening any time soon.

Beat them in the playoff.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

But it is kind of annoying that we get to sit around speculating about who the 2nd best conference is...I think it is the Pac-12 right now, but I think the Pac-12 right now is stronger top to bottom than it has ever been, so I don't know that it will last necessarily.

A lot of it is determined by demographics. The southeast just produces a lot of good players. Probably the biggest threat to the SEC is for the ACC to start to get its act together and have teams suck away some of the talent that heads to the SEC.

The west coast also produces a lot of good players--it would probably help to have them concentrate in less schools.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

MadBurgerMaker

UTSA gave Coker a raise and extension.  Four more years at $450k/yr.  I think he was at...maybe $300k. Maybe $250. Something like that. 

grumbler

The SEC has a significnat demographic advantage, but I think that two things will fialry soon erode their other advantages:
(1) four-year scholarships, so you won't see teams like Alabama and LSU taking scholarships away from the lowest-performing existing players to give them to more promising recruits, and
(2) the fact that the Big 5 teams will be required to play only other Big 5 teams (with probably one exception, to allow for seven home games every other season).

With these reforms, the SEC will probably remain the overall strongest conference, but not every year.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 18, 2014, 10:00:24 AM
(1) four-year scholarships, so you won't see teams like Alabama and LSU taking scholarships away from the lowest-performing existing players to give them to more promising recruits, and

I don't know that will really hurt anyone.

First, what many schools do is simply tell players, "you won't play here anymore. If you want to transfer, we will help you (though of course not to a future opponent or conference member)." The problem usually takes care of itself at that point.

Second, I'm not an expert on the rules, but what Alabama has been doing is not outright pulling scholarships but classifying players as medically disabled. They can't play anymore, but stay on scholarship while not counting against the cap. There was a story a while back on how Saban appears to be gaming this system.

In actually relevant news, Braxton Miller is out for the year. I imagine Jim Delany is crying under his desk at the moment. Urban Meyer is feeling chest pains and missing his family.

Ed Anger

Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2014, 01:09:03 PM

In actually relevant news, Braxton Miller is out for the year. I imagine Jim Delany is crying under his desk at the moment. Urban Meyer is feeling chest pains and missing his family.

time for sad Urban:

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

On the other hand, Notre Dame officials are delighted.  For a time, at least, no one is talking about the academic scandal that looks to cost them three starters and a second-string player.  If they have to forfeit the winning percentage crown over this, it will be even sweeter.

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2014, 05:09:10 PM
On the other hand, Notre Dame officials are delighted.  For a time, at least, no one is talking about the academic scandal that looks to cost them three starters and a second-string player.  If they have to forfeit the winning percentage crown over this, it will be even sweeter.

Losing the players is all that matters. The all time winning percentage crown is stupid to begin with, and no one with a life cares about whether wins are vacated.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2014, 05:15:07 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 19, 2014, 05:09:10 PM

Losing the players is all that matters. The all time winning percentage crown is stupid to begin with, and no one with a life cares about whether wins are vacated.
I figured you would be the one to bite on that one!  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Valmy

To Miami fans no football of any note was played prior to 1980.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2014, 08:00:45 PM
To Miami fans no football of any note was played prior to 1980.

I just don't care about vacating wins. Miami had to vacate a ton of wins and the collective response of the fan base was "can we vacate a few more of our shitty seasons too?" FSU had to vacate a bunch of wins and I never bothered to go back and taunt FSU fans for the wins they lost to Miami. They won on the field. Everyone saw it happen. What the record books say is really moot.

Losing the players ND looks like it will lose is a disaster though. That comes close to scuttling the season before it starts.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 19, 2014, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 19, 2014, 01:09:03 PM

time for sad Urban:

Must've gotten busted with a coed again by Missus Urban.  He should stop that.