News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Navy Plans For Sea Trials For Railgun In 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2014, 11:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Sweet! :w00t:

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/not-science-fiction-navy-test-futuristic-gun-sea-2016-n74166

Quote'Not Science Fiction': Navy to Test Futuristic Gun at Sea in 2016

The U.S. Navy is planning sea trials for a weapon that can fire a low-cost, 23-pound (10-kg) projectile at seven times the speed of sound using electromagnetic energy, a "Star Wars" technology that will make enemies think twice, the Navy's research chief said.

Rear Adm. Matthew Klunder, the chief of Naval Research, told a round table group recently that the futuristic electromagnetic rail gun had already undergone extensive testing on land and would be mounted on the USNS Millinocket, a high-speed vessel, for sea trials beginning in 2016.

"It's now reality and it's not science fiction. It's actually real. You can look at it. It's firing," said Klunder, who planned to discuss progress on the system later on Monday with military and industry leaders at a major maritime event — the Sea-Air-Space Exposition — near Washington.

"It will help us in air defense, it will help us in cruise missile defense, it will help us in ballistic missile defense," he said. "We're also talking about a gun that's going to shoot a projectile that's about one one-hundredth of the cost of an existing missile system today."

The Navy research chief said that cost differential — $25,000 for a rail gun projectile versus $500,000 to $1.5 million for a missile — will make potential enemies think twice about the economic viability of engaging U.S. forces.

"That ... will give our adversaries a huge moment of pause to go: 'Do I even want to go engage a naval ship?'" Klunder told reporters. "You could throw anything at us, frankly, and the fact that we now can shoot a number of these rounds at a very affordable cost, it's my opinion that they don't win."

U.S. officials have voiced concerns that tight defense budgets could cause the Pentagon to lose its technological edge over China, Russia and other rivals, who have been developing antiship ballistic missile systems and integrated air defenses capable of challenging U.S. air and naval dominance.

Weapons like the electromagnetic rail gun could help U.S. forces retain their edge and give them an asymmetric advantage over rivals, making it too expensive to use missiles to attack U.S. warships because of the cheap way to defeat them.

Rail guns use electromagnetic energy known as the Lorenz Force to launch a projectile between two conductive rails. The high-power electric pulse generates a magnetic field to fire the projectile with very little recoil, officials said.

The U.S. Navy has funded two single-shot rail gun prototypes, one by privately held General Atomics and the other by BAE Systems. Klunder said he had selected BAE for the second phase of the project, which will look at developing a system capable of firing multiple shots in succession.
— Reuters
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

You would need a big gun to shoot a train at someone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Is that pic like the rotating dancer or do they just switch direction frequently?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

I am pretty sure I've read similar threads, most of them started by Tim, throughout our EUO/languish history.  I almost feel like going to the past and reading EUOT again.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on April 08, 2014, 02:37:28 AM
I am pretty sure I've read similar threads, most of them started by Tim, throughout our EUO/languish history.  I almost feel like going to the past and reading EUOT again.
I never fail to post news about the railgun. Thankfully, unlike most stuff I post the railgun has unfailingly been on schedule since I started posting about it. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Ok, it's definitely like the dancer pic, right now I can only see the line of rabbits moving forward.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

No love for LaWS? Laser weapon to be deployed at sea this summer.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

My railgun needs some test firings this spring.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Took me 5 seconds to search for LAWS.

Timmy, you lazy shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

QuoteThe U.S. Navy is planning sea trials for a weapon that can fire a low-cost, 23-pound (10-kg) projectile at seven times the speed of sound using electromagnetic energy,

That's a hell of a muzzle velocity.

PDH

All I need to do is think "Tim is such a lazy idiot" and Languish does my work for me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM