News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Navy Plans For Sea Trials For Railgun In 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, April 07, 2014, 11:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'm sure Brazen, being an expert, has professional references at her fingertips that far exceed the top returns in google search in value. -_-
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

No, You are just a lazy shit who expects everybody to do the work for you. Go fuck yourself.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

I think you're taking the internet a bit too seriously.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

CdM flings abuse:  intraweb bully, all around nasty person
Ed flings abuse:  lol good one Ed har har har

Ed Anger

CountDeMoney

Are you posting on Languish so's to escape from reality? Me, I don't need Languish.  I am reality. There's the way it ought to be, and there's the way it is.

I shit on all you.

Ed Anger

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2014, 08:38:36 AM
Took me 5 seconds to search for LAWS.

Timmy, you lazy shit.

Tim probably misspelled it and ended up at an article about Liberal Arts and Engineering Studies.

Neil

Quote from: celedhring on April 08, 2014, 08:53:49 AM
QuoteThe U.S. Navy is planning sea trials for a weapon that can fire a low-cost, 23-pound (10-kg) projectile at seven times the speed of sound using electromagnetic energy,

That's a hell of a muzzle velocity.
Still, a 23 kg projectile moving at 2400 m/s is less impressive than a 2700 kg projectile moving at 750 m/s.  Advantage:  Dreadnought.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

celedhring

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2014, 10:30:56 PM
QuoteThe U.S. Navy is planning sea trials for a weapon that can fire a low-cost, 23-pound (10-kg) projectile at seven times the speed of sound using electromagnetic energy,

Still, a 23 kg projectile moving at 2400 m/s is less impressive than a 2700 kg projectile moving at 750 m/s.  Advantage:  Dreadnought.

I have no idea of the ballistics involved, but it doesn't look like the US Navy envisions an anti-ship role for those weapons. Such a short time-to-target would really make them ideal antimissile or AA weapons (provided they can be turned into rapid fire weapons, I'm really not that knowledgeable about the technology's limitations). Anyway, I when I was kid I was promised flying cars and lasers, I'm 35 and still waiting, but this and LaWS are a start...

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 08, 2014, 10:02:20 PM
CdM flings abuse:  intraweb bully, all around nasty person
Ed flings abuse:  lol good one Ed har har har

No one thinks you're a nasty person for flinging abuse at Timmay--we all do that.

Neil

Quote from: celedhring on April 09, 2014, 04:35:16 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2014, 10:30:56 PM

I have no idea of the ballistics involved, but it doesn't look like the US Navy envisions an anti-ship role for those weapons. Such a short time-to-target would really make them ideal antimissile or AA weapons (provided they can be turned into rapid fire weapons, I'm really not that knowledgeable about the technology's limitations). Anyway, I when I was kid I was promised flying cars and lasers, I'm 35 and still waiting, but this and LaWS are a start...
I wonder how well they'd cope with small, fast-moving targets.  I suppose the Israelis have a laser array which can shoot down artillery shells now as part of the Iron Dome, so it might be plausible.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Brazen

I only haven't replied before because my office internet flags this thread up as adult content  :lol:

New railgun footage with targets being obliterated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQfAcBs5vQ

LaWS press release and photo:
http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=80172

derspiess

There, Timmy.  You happy now?

AND DON'T BABY HIM BRAZEN
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall