News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 10:01:34 AM
I suppose it depends on specificity.  If you're railing against the humble mom & pop fresh local produce market, then yeah that'd be pretty un-PC.  But criticizing medium to large-sized corporations is hardly un-PC.

Criticizing?  Sure.  Saying they should not exist and everything should be publicly owned is a pretty radical view.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 10:03:55 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 10:01:34 AM
Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 09:47:54 AM
To me, though, PC is more a refusal to recognise there are downsides to progress, if the term has any meaning at all.

Man that is an interesting definition.

I can hear your frown a continent away.  :lol:

I might actually agree I just had never thought of it like that before. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 10:01:34 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2014, 09:02:13 AM
Around here, it's definetly un-PC.

I suppose it depends on specificity.  If you're railing against the humble mom & pop fresh local produce market, then yeah that'd be pretty un-PC.  But criticizing medium to large-sized corporations is hardly un-PC.

I agree. Damn it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 10:04:42 AM
Criticizing?  Sure.  Saying they should not exist and everything should be publicly owned is a pretty radical view.

It's radical, but as long as you don't flat-out use Marxist jargon you're not going to set off many PC alarms.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Brazen

I believe there should be some sort of exam and certificate in parenting for anyone planning to breed.

LaCroix

the hate people have for monsanto is ridiculous and based on fear of gmo, ignorance of law, and/or belief in misrepresented facts

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 10:07:58 AM
It's radical, but as long as you don't flat-out use Marxist jargon you're not going to set off many PC alarms.

Straight Marxism, no chaser is not going to set off any PC alarms.

To me PC is all about protected classes and oppression by The (white) Man.  It includes things like African American instead of black, First Nations instead of Indian, Asian instead of Oriental.  It also includes things like the belief that discrimination is the only cause of differing outcomes, and the refusal to accept the possibility that different groups can have different strengths and weaknesses.  For example when when then Harvard president Lawrence whatshisname suggested that the paucity of female physicists might be explained by different brain wiring or whatever, the reaction against that was pure PC.

Valmy

It is PC for Yi to say that since he isn't white.

Razgovory

How exactly do you define "PC".  In my opinion it's mostly a conservative victim complex.  The ideas that somehow liberals are preventing conservatives from speaking the truth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 10:59:49 AM

How exactly do you define "PC".  In my opinion it's mostly a conservative victim complex.  The ideas that somehow liberals are preventing conservatives from speaking the truth.

That's funny, Liberals thinks conservatives are preventing them from speaking the truth.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2014, 11:12:59 AM
That's funny, Liberals thinks conservatives are preventing them from speaking the truth.

The really funny part is neither of them ever do.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 11:13:55 AM

The really funny part is neither of them ever do.

Indeed not, the truth is not PC.

Razgovory

What's really funny is that conservatives have this enormous victim complex and like to think they don't.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I think that, on a fundamental level, it's up to the individual.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 11:16:12 AM

What's really funny is that conservatives have this enormous victim complex and like to think they don't.

That's un-PC to say.