News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

No ones done a Mac joke yet? BB I'm disappointed in you.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on March 28, 2014, 07:07:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 12:46:56 AM
Buddah's going to be pissed.

I think that most forms of variants sexuality should still be considered paraphilic disorders.  While I'm not suggesting that homosexuals should be persecuted or treated differently, I still think it fits the criteria of a paraphilic disorder at it is a variant behavior that causes difficulties for person both mentally and physically.  I also think that since homosexuality is something you are born with, parents will have a choice if their children will be homosexual or not in the future and it will become extremely uncommon.

How much of that is do to societal pressures / what society allows? I wonder if both of the items you list won't decline over time.

Unknown.  It's probably a major factor, but not sure how much it would decline.  For instance much higher rates of STDs (something like 4 times as much), is that because of gay culture?  Possibly.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on March 28, 2014, 08:41:52 AM
No ones done a Mac joke yet? BB I'm disappointed in you.

:lol:  In my defence I'm not even at work yet!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on March 28, 2014, 08:26:12 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2014, 08:17:22 AM
Deep down, I am against private enterprise.

Not sure if that qualifies as PC.

Around here, it's definetly un-PC.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

Where to start.   :hmm:

What's with this recent confessional bent Languish is now taking, first opinions on onions, 'whats on you mind' and now this!

It's a worrying trend; not sure I'm too keen on getting views of the inner workings of other languishites.   :(

Maybe we could just stick to arguing to toss about bits of military kit and bashing each other over the head with raspberry flavoured strawmen?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Admiral Yi

I'm getting a chuckle out of the PC posters struggling with the question.  :P

It's easier for me to say which PC beliefs I *do* subscribe to: you don't call black people niggers.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 09:24:27 AM
I'm getting a chuckle out of the PC posters struggling with the question.  :P

It's easier for me to say which PC beliefs I *do* subscribe to: you don't call black people niggers.

I doubt that's true.

There definitely is a common body of "politically correct" thoughts, the large majority of which are fairly uncontroversial to the vast majority - even Admiral Yis.  For example I'm pretty sure Yi believes in the equality of the races, in private enterprise, and private property.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on March 28, 2014, 09:28:39 AM
I doubt that's true.

There definitely is a common body of "politically correct" thoughts, the large majority of which are fairly uncontroversial to the vast majority - even Admiral Yis.  For example I'm pretty sure Yi believes in the equality of the races, in private enterprise, and private property.

Equality under the law hardly qualifies as PC.  If one were to say "I think a white man and a black man should get the same sentence for murder," the likelihood someone will say "oh, you're so PC" is very low.

PC is more inclined to be in favor of equality of outcome than equality of process.

Norgy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2014, 09:33:27 AM

PC is more inclined to be in favor of equality of outcome than equality of process.

Could be.

I've found the term PC being applied to anyone adhering to views like "not all Muslims are terrorists" and gay rights advocates. To me, though, PC is more a refusal to recognise there are downsides to progress, if the term has any meaning at all.

It's bandied about as much as "racist" or "bigot", so whatever meaning the words once had are gone.

Grey Fox

To me PC is speaking half truth to hide the elephant truth in the room.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on March 28, 2014, 08:35:55 AM
When I was in graduate school I used to count up the number of white people in the class.  The more white people the larger the curve; and any class that was more than 25% white was a free A.  This is because white people are spoiled, lazy and stupid.   :(

And those are just are the ones who go to Grad school for Engineering.  You cannot imagine how spoiled, lazy, and stupid I am being a white dude in undergrad.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2014, 09:02:13 AM
Around here, it's definetly un-PC.

I suppose it depends on specificity.  If you're railing against the humble mom & pop fresh local produce market, then yeah that'd be pretty un-PC.  But criticizing medium to large-sized corporations is hardly un-PC.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 09:47:54 AM
To me, though, PC is more a refusal to recognise there are downsides to progress, if the term has any meaning at all.

Man that is an interesting definition.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 10:01:34 AM
Quote from: Norgy on March 28, 2014, 09:47:54 AM
To me, though, PC is more a refusal to recognise there are downsides to progress, if the term has any meaning at all.

Man that is an interesting definition.

I can hear your frown a continent away.  :lol: