News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on March 28, 2014, 12:24:19 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 11:55:20 AMNot entirely.  There are some real ethical questions about patenting lifeforms.

At any rate, most of my beliefs are rather offensive to someone or other.

but that's not an ethical question monsanto is confronted with. that's for the patent agencies
Something doesn't become ethical just because you can get away with it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 12:53:11 PM
Women are good for 3 things:

Pleasuring men
Blasting crotchfruit out of their babycannons
Making sandwiches.

Who does the laundry?  :huh:

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on March 28, 2014, 01:09:44 PM

Pleasuring men
Making sandwiches.

Child labor.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

I believe that a certain subset of lefties has basically swapped the irrationality of religion from the past to the irrationality of pseudoscience of the present.

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 01:12:14 PM

Pleasuring men
Making sandwiches.

Child labor.

That's what your wife has been in.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2014, 01:14:57 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 28, 2014, 01:12:14 PM

Pleasuring men
Making sandwiches.

Child labor.

That's what your wife has been in.

Heh.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

OttoVonBismarck

I don't believe in a generally open franchise. I believe the electorate should be small and qualified in some manner, I'm essentially anti-democratic.

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on March 28, 2014, 01:13:23 PM
I believe that a certain subset of lefties has basically swapped the irrationality of religion from the past to the irrationality of pseudoscience of the present.

You mean like the anti-vaccinators or the organic everything crowd?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Norgy

Quote from: viper37 on March 28, 2014, 12:57:28 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM
I think that any kind of transsexualism that manifests as an urge for "gender reassignment surgery" is a pathology rather than a gender or a sexual orientation.  The urge to massive self-mutilation or castration is not a healthy one.   :ph34r:

That said I try very hard to be civil and polite with every transsexual I have ever met, and have purposefully avoided expressing my opinion on the matter. 

What is your least PC belief? 
I believe that all religions are human construction and that God does not exist.

Not really un-pc in Quebec, but in rural Alberta or Southern US, that would certainly warrant crucifixion.

Not remotely controversial in the public discourse of most Western countries. Stand by the side of the main mosque in Mecca and shout it, and suddenly you're the worst person alive for about two minutes.

Dissing religion, or making fun of it, is in my reading of the rather loose term PC fine, even encouraged. Saying that abortion is murder is not. Saying slavery is bad is unconditionally the right thing to say. Saying "Well, at least you got to travel" is so un-PC that you will be hanged.

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 01:19:09 PM

Anti vaccination is mostly anti science which is a different beast altogether, but I think you can include certain attitudes towards the pharmaceutical industry in a similar category, which mixes that with anti corporate attitudes. A lot has to do with the preachiness they sometimes spouse.

The Larch

Regarding organic farming, it's ok per se, but it becomes ridiculous when taken to extremes such as those exposed by things like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodynamic_farming.

LaCroix

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 01:05:40 PMSomething doesn't become ethical just because you can get away with it.

but it's not a matter of "getting away with it." that language implies monsanto acted unethically. it is not unethical to apply for a patent, have your work product patented, then protect that patent. you can blame the public agencies all you want, but i don't see how monsanto has acted objectively unethical - patenting organisms has been going on for decades. are all scientists and private businesses who have their patents unethical simply because their patent involved an organism?

the united states government has decided that one can patent specific, modified, seeds. these seeds would never have existed without research and expense. the seeds are not natural, as in they are not created from nature. monsanto created them and patented them legally and without underhanded tactics.

Norgy

Quote from: The Larch on March 28, 2014, 01:26:23 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 28, 2014, 01:19:09 PM

Anti vaccination is mostly anti science which is a different beast altogether, but I think you can include certain attitudes towards the pharmaceutical industry in a similar category, which mixes that with anti corporate attitudes. A lot has to do with the preachiness they sometimes spouse.

You're lucky. Anti-immigration, anti-vaccination and the "alternative" crowd have joined hands here. It's like Breivik with blogs. Now this is un-PC, but I wouldn't mind if the lot of them did get abducted by aliens, died from vaccinations or got viciously murdered by immigrants.

Neil

Quote from: LaCroix on March 28, 2014, 01:43:05 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2014, 01:05:40 PMSomething doesn't become ethical just because you can get away with it.

but it's not a matter of "getting away with it." that language implies monsanto acted unethically. it is not unethical to apply for a patent, have your work product patented, then protect that patent. you can blame the public agencies all you want, but i don't see how monsanto has acted objectively unethical - patenting organisms has been going on for decades. are all scientists and private businesses who have their patents unethical simply because their patent involved an organism?

the united states government has decided that one can patent specific, modified, seeds. these seeds would never have existed without research and expense. the seeds are not natural, as in they are not created from nature. monsanto created them and patented them legally and without underhanded tactics.
It can be unethical to apply for a patent, like if you're patenting a living thing.  Ethics and the law are two different things.  There are all sorts of things that a government can allow people to do that aren't ethical.

Yes, anyone who patents an organism is, by definition, unethical.  Doesn't matter if it's a scientist, a big company or a guy in his garage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

No sweet, sweet southern 'tang for Zanza. :weep: