And we're back!

Main Menu

Most un-PC Belief?

Started by Queequeg, March 28, 2014, 12:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2014, 03:02:15 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2014, 12:55:35 AM
The rational utility-maximixing option would seem at first blush to be bisexuality.

For you maybe, but not for your parents. If you fall in love with a nice fellow and adopt an Asian child, their genes aren't getting passed on.

Utility is maximized by dying back the human species anyway.  Relax.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on March 28, 2014, 02:31:53 AM
I think Ide is a pretty interesting movie reviewer.
:lol:

Thanks. :hug:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

My most un-pc belief.

PC is a lie we pretend to agree on just so other people can live their lie without starting an argument every time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Iormlund on March 28, 2014, 03:06:01 AM
I think you're going backwards here. They were top dogs because certain policies such as individual liberties and the rule of law are more effective than the alternatives.

The jury is still out on that. The PRC has certainly been making huge strides in the past 30 years without adopting those policies. The Nazis and Soviets both were formidable war machines.

I can definitely see an "end of history" scenario where physical limitations have stifled the rate of technological progress and autocratic governments which are geared toward maintaining power outperform more free and innovative societies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2014, 03:13:25 AM

Utility to who? Unless you put the government in charge of choosing traits for the baby (which I'm sure you'd like to  :lol:) the decision-making would be based on the perspective of the parents, where utility is maximized by other people not reproducing so their own offspring have more access to resources.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 28, 2014, 04:18:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 28, 2014, 03:13:25 AM

Utility to who? Unless you put the government in charge of choosing traits for the baby (which I'm sure you'd like to  :lol:) the decision-making would be based on the perspective of the parents, where utility is maximized by other people not reproducing so their own offspring have more access to resources.

And that's why it all has to be subordinated to needs of the many, Professor Gattaca. :P

Anyway, I can see your point.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Threviel

That colonialism and imperialism was a net good for the world. Probably the best thing to happen Africa and large parts of Asia.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 28, 2014, 12:46:56 AM
Buddah's going to be pissed.

I think that most forms of variants sexuality should still be considered paraphilic disorders.  While I'm not suggesting that homosexuals should be persecuted or treated differently, I still think it fits the criteria of a paraphilic disorder at it is a variant behavior that causes difficulties for person both mentally and physically.  I also think that since homosexuality is something you are born with, parents will have a choice if their children will be homosexual or not in the future and it will become extremely uncommon.

How much of that is do to societal pressures / what society allows? I wonder if both of the items you list won't decline over time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Norgy

I find the term PC useless, really.
I guess my least PC opinion, if not belief, is that the war on drugs is a massive failure and counter-productive.

Capetan Mihali

Is this supposed to be most right-wing belief?  Most uncharitable belief?  Most idiosyncratic-in-a-bad-way belief?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grey Fox

Deep down, I am against private enterprise.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 28, 2014, 08:17:22 AM
Deep down, I am against private enterprise.

Not sure if that qualifies as PC.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

When I was in graduate school I used to count up the number of white people in the class.  The more white people the larger the curve; and any class that was more than 25% white was a free A.  This is because white people are spoiled, lazy and stupid.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock