News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Can't you guys just use a food processor to chop your onions?

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2014, 07:12:06 AM
400 pound man in a cowboy hat named Stacy. :)
How do you know the name of his cowboy hat?

Caliga

There's a little brass plaque on the front of it that says "Stacy". :showoff:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

I agree with DSB about Quizno's.  The toasting sub thing was a gimmick to justify charging $2-3 more for the same sub you would get at a Subway.

KRonn

Quote from: Gups on March 27, 2014, 10:48:31 AM
Can't you guys just use a food processor to chop your onions?
I recently bought a device to chop onions and other stuff. Goes much faster, less fuss.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
My question, for those who cook, however, is just how necessary are onions in your own cooking? Do you guy them by the bushel and put them in everything? Or do you only use them in the odd dish as needed?

I always have onions around.  They are an easy way to favour a dish.  I use them in most everything I cook.

Caliga

Norgy

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 27, 2014, 12:14:38 PM

I always have onions around.  They are an easy way to favour a dish.  I use them in most everything I cook.

What dishes don't you favour?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Norgy on March 27, 2014, 01:12:21 PM

A simple compliment goes a lot further, IMO.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2014, 12:18:11 PM
Did Meri: lose the thread :hmm:

Nah. I just wanted to complain about onions being in everything and lazy cooks destroying good food that way. Now that I've done that, make the thread what you want. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

i propose we turn this into a thread to slag on Meri.

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 27, 2014, 07:43:22 AM
Quizno's was FAR more expensive than Subway, especially for the ONE sub they made that I liked (some limited time dealie that involved steak, provolone and rosemary- I'm a little hazy on it now, since it's been eight years since we even had a Quizno's in the area.

I loved Quizno's for a while-- the honey bourbon chicken sandwich was awesome-- then they had a really good buffalo chicken sandwich.  Every time I tried a ham or turkey sandwich I wanted to gag, though.  Most rubbery overprocessed lunchmeat I've ever had from anywhere.  They switched up the chicken to some cheaper version as well.  And they claim to use premium ingredients.

Subway is my go-to when I haven't thought much about lunch and need something quick. 

QuoteAlthough, I always drive by the former Quizno's and laugh- the enterprising individual that bought the place and turned it back into a pizzeria apparently had no budget for signage, so he just used letters from the old Quizno's sign and made it "zino's." :lol:

:D  That's standard practice in my old hometown of Huntington, WV.  I always took it as a warning to avoid the place.  I'd be embarrassed just to walk in the door.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Norgy on March 27, 2014, 01:12:21 PM

those I dont flavour of course :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 27, 2014, 01:16:43 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 27, 2014, 12:18:11 PM
Did Meri: lose the thread :hmm:

Nah. I just wanted to complain about onions being in everything and lazy cooks destroying good food that way. Now that I've done that, make the thread what you want. :)

Cooking with onions is lazy?

Have you ever actually tried cooking with onions?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 27, 2014, 01:18:55 PM
i propose we turn this into a thread to slag on Meri.

All the food threads though have finally answered one of languish's eternal mysteries - how did a shy mennonite lad from northern Alberta hook up with a brash illinois mother of four?

Apparently, they bonded over them both having completely irrational food dislikes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.