News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

I really like onions in almost every situation, but I hate mushrooms with the white hot passion of a thousand burning suns.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 03:15:54 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 03:09:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on March 26, 2014, 02:54:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 02:23:15 PM

Pickles are my one 100% irrational food dislike, going right back to my childhood.

It doesn't make sense - I like cucumbers, and I like it when other things are pickled.  But traditional pickles themselves?  No thanks.

I'm eating bread and butter chips as i type this RIGHT NOW!

Fill your boots.

With shrimp and assorted seafood?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fill%20your%20boots
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

"Send me your gran" - "Have a nice day"
"Looks like hockey sticks, eh" - "Nice lawn"
"Canada, eh" - "I am feeling a bit insecure and in need of affirmation"
"How aboot the game" - "Nice meeting you"

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 02:23:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:20:59 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
You definitely have to be careful with raw onions, but disagree that using onions as a base ingredient gets "boring".

However, I have been throwing diced celery into a lot of dishes, even if not specifically called for.  It does add a different something.

I like celery, even though sometimes even after thoroughly washing it it has a slight dirt taste.  Wife & her family (which I'll extrapolate to Argies in general) can't stand it so we almost never cook with it.

One other thing Argies seem to really hate is pickles, or really cucumbers in any form.  She has the kids totally turned off to them as well as several other things I like-- we have a covert war going on with the kids and their food tastes.

Pickles are my one 100% irrational food dislike, going right back to my childhood.

It doesn't make sense - I like cucumbers, and I like it when other things are pickled.  But traditional pickles themselves?  No thanks.

Pickles are good, but they don't really go with anything else.  Despite the inordinate efforts made by fast food restaurants to convince otherwise.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

FACT:  They are an essential part of a Chik-Fil-A sandwich.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

There is no essential part of a Chik-Fil-A sandwich.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Norgy

Not even the "We hate gays and are morons" sauce?

PRC

Onions are an extremely important part of many dishes, across many cultural cuisines as well. 

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 04:36:14 PM
Not even the "We hate gays and are morons" sauce?

:secret: There is no sauce.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on March 26, 2014, 04:31:58 PM
There is no essential part of a Chik-Fil-A sandwich.

The chicken is essential. Bun optional. Pickles :x

Course, I always just get the chicken strips.

@Derspiess, there's barbecue sauce. :mmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Norgy

The lack of sauce in itself is a bloody human rights violation.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 26, 2014, 04:42:37 PM
@Derspiess, there's barbecue sauce. :mmm:

You can get it, sure.  But it's not essential.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Perhaps the problem with onions is they're a cheap ingredient, so sometime people tend to put too much into a dish.

If they were rather expensive, they'd be used more sparingly and we'd have less risk of them overpowering the other ingredients.

I use them quite a bit, but tend to choose small ones most of the time, so don't seem to have that problem.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: Norgy on March 26, 2014, 04:43:31 PM
The lack of sauce in itself is a bloody human rights violation.

Their fried chicken sandwich needs no sauce. 

Their grilled chicken sandwich does benefit from some barbecue sauce, though.