And we're back!

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on onions?

Started by merithyn, March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Here's how I deal with chopping onions:

I man up and don't cry over onions.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 26, 2014, 01:36:58 PM
Contact lenses. :contract:  I wouldn't have thought so intuitively, but I believe it's true.  When I wore contacts all the time I was like "wow, my sensitivity to onions went away!" but now that don't wear then as much I still get a little teary.

Well, I do wear contacts.  But is the cornea really the only part that gets irritated by onion fumes or whatever it's called?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Norgy

I've never cried over onions. Did cry over spilt milk once.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 01:47:44 PM
You definitely have to be careful with raw onions, but disagree that using onions as a base ingredient gets "boring".

However, I have been throwing diced celery into a lot of dishes, even if not specifically called for.  It does add a different something.

I like celery, even though sometimes even after thoroughly washing it it has a slight dirt taste.  Wife & her family (which I'll extrapolate to Argies in general) can't stand it so we almost never cook with it.

One other thing Argies seem to really hate is pickles, or really cucumbers in any form.  She has the kids totally turned off to them as well as several other things I like-- we have a covert war going on with the kids and their food tastes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:20:59 PM
You definitely have to be careful with raw onions, but disagree that using onions as a base ingredient gets "boring".

However, I have been throwing diced celery into a lot of dishes, even if not specifically called for.  It does add a different something.

I like celery, even though sometimes even after thoroughly washing it it has a slight dirt taste.  Wife & her family (which I'll extrapolate to Argies in general) can't stand it so we almost never cook with it.

One other thing Argies seem to really hate is pickles, or really cucumbers in any form.  She has the kids totally turned off to them as well as several other things I like-- we have a covert war going on with the kids and their food tastes.

Pickles are my one 100% irrational food dislike, going right back to my childhood.

It doesn't make sense - I like cucumbers, and I like it when other things are pickled.  But traditional pickles themselves?  No thanks.

Norgy

It's definitely an acquired taste, and I can relate. Same with pickled beets. And you don't know how bad the pickled herring and shite can get.

katmai

Quote from: merithyn on March 26, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
I don't like onions. I have tried very hard to, but I just can't. I like some vegetables in the onion family - leeks, scallions, garlic - but I really can't stand yellow, red, or white onions, especially raw.

Because I don't like them, I notice them whenever a meal is cooked with them, and most restaurant/deli foods have tons of onions in them because they're a cheap and easy way to spice foods. Some foods need onions - liver and onions, French onion soup, etc - but I've managed to cook for 30+ years using onions very sparingly.

My question, for those who cook, however, is just how necessary are onions in your own cooking? Do you guy them by the bushel and put them in everything? Or do you only use them in the odd dish as needed?

No wonder your kids are so weird.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 01:34:00 PM
I can understand not liking onions-- the strong odor and taste is not something everyone gets accustomed to.  But what is there not to like about bell peppers?

My go-to veggie pizza is topped with onion, mushroom, and bell pepper.  Perfect balance.

Bell pepper dominate when used in cooking so i can't stand them.
But i love them in salad.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 02:23:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 02:20:59 PM

Pickles are my one 100% irrational food dislike, going right back to my childhood.

It doesn't make sense - I like cucumbers, and I like it when other things are pickled.  But traditional pickles themselves?  No thanks.

Whereas I hate all of those so at least I'm consistent.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

I'm eating bread and butter chips as i type this RIGHT NOW!

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on March 26, 2014, 02:54:51 PM

Fill your boots.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 01:23:09 PM
:rolleyes:

And you call yourself a foodie.
I don't think I call myself that, no.  I think others around here have called me one. :hmm:

Anyway, ok, I admit it, it's less for the crying and more for the convenience factor.  I make good money but unlike you lazy Canadians I have to actually work long hours for it. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2014, 03:09:08 PM

Fill your boots.

With shrimp and assorted seafood?

derspiess

I actually don't like bread & butter or sweet pickles so much.  Gotta be dill.

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2014, 03:19:01 PM

I actually don't like bread & butter or sweet pickles so much.  Gotta be dill.

:mad: