News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Drop-by, no-call visits: Yay or Nay?

Started by merithyn, March 18, 2014, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you comfortable having family and friends "drop-by" for a visit without calling first?

Sure! Mi casa es su casa!
Only if I know the person well
Erm... not so much
Get off my lawn!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

His rapping skills are terrible though. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Brain on March 19, 2014, 02:21:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2014, 02:08:27 PM
Unannounced visitors get welcomed with shotgun blasts. :)

What's your office hours?

:lol: We all know how the drunken Hasidic AmScip and his ultra-hazardous tort hounds feel about the topic.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2014, 10:43:40 AM
A discussion at work had me thinking. I grew up in a house that was always open. It wasn't unusual for us to come home from the store to find a friend or two sitting on the back patio, having a beer, chatting and waiting for my parents to come home to visit. I'm pretty much unfazed when someone drops by unannounced, and if I've actually invited folks over, no one bothers to knock.

This is my view of things.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

There's nothing on this earth I hate more than "drop ins."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Thinking about this actually...
For me it is a no.
But for my parents...I guess it depends on the person. For family and my godparents family it's totally OK and yeah, generally there's not even any knocking, just go right in.
With lesser known people they still drop by unannounced sometimes but knock.
We don't know anyone weird enough to come by unannounced whilst not being known enough for it to be comfortable. British people would naturally call ahead to check its OK.
██████
██████
██████