News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Drop-by, no-call visits: Yay or Nay?

Started by merithyn, March 18, 2014, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you comfortable having family and friends "drop-by" for a visit without calling first?

Sure! Mi casa es su casa!
Only if I know the person well
Erm... not so much
Get off my lawn!

merithyn

A discussion at work had me thinking. I grew up in a house that was always open. It wasn't unusual for us to come home from the store to find a friend or two sitting on the back patio, having a beer, chatting and waiting for my parents to come home to visit. I'm pretty much unfazed when someone drops by unannounced, and if I've actually invited folks over, no one bothers to knock.

Two of my co-workers, on the other hand, intensely dislike "drop-bys". If they're going to have visitors, plans must be made, period.

Where do you guys fall on this?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Yuck. I'd pretend to not be home if someone dropped by randomly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Yes. But only if I end up older and living in the countryside.

When I was growing up we had one or two other families and we'd regularly drop by, or they would to us. On more than one occasion my dad (or their mum) would drop by in the afternoon and then end up having to wait until the evening so the more sober, working member of the household could drive us home :lol:

It was great for me and the other kids though.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

I'm ok with my dad or my girlfriend's parents/siblings dropping by. Anybody else would annoy me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

When I was a kid I guess we had people coming over semi-randomly.  But in my own house, no I do not like it.  Would like at least a half-hour notice so I can clean up whatever mess the kids made.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Only if it's somebody I know and I have the slightest bit of advance warning.

Unexpected visits are the norm in the countryside AFAIK, at least that's the case of my parents when they're back in the country, and the same for my grandma.

The Brain

I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. So sure, they can knock themselves out.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Absolutely not!  But then, I don't really have a lot of friends so it doesn't come up much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Isn't that what ubiquitous mobile phones are for? Just give the person a call and ask if it is okay to come by in 20 minutes or whatever.

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on March 18, 2014, 11:03:02 AM
I don't answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. So sure, they can knock themselves out.

Same here.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

It completely depends on the relationship you have with the people involved, and on the current situation and personality of the visited. There are some people I love have dropping by, and whom I'm happy to drop by on; and many others where I wouldn't possibly dream of doing so.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Brain on March 18, 2014, 11:03:02 AM

Ditto.

celedhring

Only if there's a slight word in advance. Something like "Hey, I'm in the neighborhood, it's ok to drop by?" is fine and it's something I do often with friends.

Monoriu

First of all, it is impossible for someone to come to my place without my express permission.  The security guards will simply not let them in. 

Having said that, if I find someone waiting for me at the gates unannounced, I will be very pissed.  I'll probably tell them they should come at another time.