News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Drop-by, no-call visits: Yay or Nay?

Started by merithyn, March 18, 2014, 10:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you comfortable having family and friends "drop-by" for a visit without calling first?

Sure! Mi casa es su casa!
Only if I know the person well
Erm... not so much
Get off my lawn!

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on March 18, 2014, 10:43:40 AM
A discussion at work had me thinking. I grew up in a house that was always open. It wasn't unusual for us to come home from the store to find a friend or two sitting on the back patio, having a beer, chatting and waiting for my parents to come home to visit. I'm pretty much unfazed when someone drops by unannounced, and if I've actually invited folks over, no one bothers to knock.

Two of my co-workers, on the other hand, intensely dislike "drop-bys". If they're going to have visitors, plans must be made, period.

Where do you guys fall on this?
I prefer to know in advance if someone is coming.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

In principle I am in favour of it. But anybody "just dropping by" has to accept the response, no, you can't come in and I don't have to give you a good reason (no that was the sound of my wood-chipper and that isn't the smell of a decomposing corpse) for not letting you in.

So, yes, why not. It tells me the visitor wants me to like him, which is a nice feeling. But if I'm busy, tired, stressed or depressed he has no reason to object or be offended by a "fuck off".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DontSayBanana

Unannounced visits have generally been okay with me, but I've been finding them harder to manage as I've been getting busier in my professional and social life.  Generally now, I try to make sure stuff is planned more as a courtesy to the friends than as a courtesy to myself.

On the other hand, I've seen households where unannounced visits just create a logistical nightmare.  The girlfriends parents have three excitable dogs that need to be held whenever anybody pulls into the driveway, so unannounced visits create dogpocalypse and just set everybody's teeth on edge for the 10-15 minutes it takes for the dogs to calm down enough to stop trying to bounce on everybody.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

I loathe the drop by at dinner time. Stop mooching, you fucking assholes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 18, 2014, 05:29:22 PM
I loathe the drop by at dinner time. Stop mooching, you fucking assholes.

Oh, yeah.  That's the exception with me.  I've got no problem with grabbing a bite with a friend, but if you're mooching off a meal planned and cooked for the household, you're scum.
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Or they drop by at four and hang around waiting to be asked if they want something to eat. DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE HOMES?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

KRonn

The people who would drop by unannounced are ok with me, as it's usually family, brother, etc. But with everyone else I wouldn't want it to happen all the time, but since it's such a rare occurrence I'm mostly ok with it.

Valmy

Family?  Sure.  Everybody else I would at least expect a warning call.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

I see my non-family opposition to this coming from 2 factors.

1. My gf is a bad host, so I will probably going to have stop whatever I am doing & atleast aknowledge you've come by
2. I'm a busy person, I've got shitz to do and you are messing up my schedule.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Capetan Mihali

Drop-by, no-knock searches by the police can be an inconvenience.  See Ice-T's "Six in the Mornin'" for the best illustration.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

Unannounced visitors get welcomed with shotgun blasts. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2014, 02:08:27 PM
Unannounced visitors get welcomed with shotgun blasts. :)

What's your office hours?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.