Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2014, 07:37:04 PM
Calling Bruno a scientist is like calling the guy who compiled Genesis a scientist.  Sure, Genesis is correct is saying that the Earth had a beginning, but that was entirely by luck.

Luck with a dash of divine inspiration?  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 16, 2014, 12:00:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2014, 07:37:04 PM
Calling Bruno a scientist is like calling the guy who compiled Genesis a scientist.  Sure, Genesis is correct is saying that the Earth had a beginning, but that was entirely by luck.

Luck with a dash of divine inspiration?  :hmm:
:lol:  I don't think that some people understand the concept of "luck" at all.  It doesn't take "luck" to comprehend that things have beginnings and ends.  Though it may have been luck (with a dash of divine inspiration?) that Raz struck upon an appropriate analogy:  Just as whoever hypothesized that, since everything with a lifespan short enough to be observable by people had a beginning and an end, so must everything (including the earth) even if their lifespan is too long to be observed by humans, so Bruno hypothesized that, if all the known stars had planets, so must the unknown stars.  This is called inductive reasoning.  Inductive reasoning may seem like mere luck to those unable to perform the task, but it isn't really luck at all.

I think it is fascinating how tribal loyalties (and thus the tribal beliefs that people cling to) change when the subject changes.  There seems to me to be no reason for modern Catholics to try so strenuously to dismiss the truths about Bruno; I don't think that any knowledgeable person doesn't recognize that the medieval and renaissance catholic church was just as prone to kill people whom it thought threatened their position of power as, say, secular leaders like Henry VIII of England.  I also don't think that any knowledgeable person still believes that the modern catholic church behaves like that, or even that it would if it could, any more than Elizabeth II would.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on March 16, 2014, 07:28:37 AM
or even that it would if it could, any more than Elizabeth II would.

I dunno man.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Does Grumbler have some sources on how Bruno came to his conclusions.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

"Herein lies the level of intelligence: because the inferior intellects cannot understand multiplicity except through many species, analogies and forms, superior intellects do better with less, and the very best do perfectly with very little."
    -- Giovanni Bruno, Cause, Principle and Unity

Man, would Bruno fit in here perfectly, or what?  :lol:

Bayraktar!