News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Family and Politics

Started by Eddie Teach, March 13, 2014, 08:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do your politics compare with those of others in your extended family?

Considerably left of the family
7 (21.2%)
Considerably right of the family
3 (9.1%)
Definitely an outlier, but it doesn't fit well on a left/right spectrum
2 (6.1%)
Pretty close to most of the family ideologically
12 (36.4%)
My family varies too much to give a decent point of comparison
5 (15.2%)
We don't talk about such things
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

My family is uniformly conservative/GOP.  Extending out to aunts, uncles, and cousins I can only think of one person (a cousin) who is not.  And he's too chicken shit to ever tell you what he's in favor of, he just bitches about those on the right.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2014, 08:59:18 AM
And he's too chicken shit to ever tell you what he's in favor of, he just bitches about those on the right.

Maybe he doesn't have anybody who represents him.  There are, after all, only two choices and they both are pretty horrible.

If I go out to cousins and uncles we have everything from insane Jesus freaks to crazy commies.  In my nuclear family I am one of the right wingers, me and my dad are probably the only two who have ever voted for Republicans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Family are mostly social democrats. I'm more liberal (in the classical sense) and hawkish on defence and foreign relations.

Admiral Yi

My dad is a peacenik commie, my mom is maybe a Blue Dog. 

Never discuss politics with my brother or sister.

Grey Fox

Around here, we don't separate on a left-right divide but a Separatist-Federalist divide.

My family is historically federalist, I am much more ambivalent on the question.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Beenherebefore

I used to be the most leftwing in my family. Now, evidence suggests I am the most moderate after my stepfather's conversion to the Labour Party. I'm not member of any party any longer. I sympathise with and vote Labour most of the time, but the liberal party Venstre is also a party I have voted for.
I think I may be the only one in my extended family still harbouring any hope and wish for a Norwegian EU membership, although that's not a left-right divide only.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I also used to be the most lefty and now I'm the most moderate. My parents are both left and moving further left as they age.

But I think one of my brothers is Ukip and the other's probably a Tory.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Hard to say. At one time, I would have said my family is mostly made up of democrats - however, since the older generation has died off, more and more relatives are popping out of the woodwork as republicans.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 09:02:31 AM
Maybe he doesn't have anybody who represents him.  There are, after all, only two choices and they both are pretty horrible.

I'm pretty sure he's a left-wing Obama-ite Democrat.  When you're 100% critical of one side and 0% of the other, it's not too hard to connect the dots.  He's a steadfast atheist & sci-fi nerd, plus he works for NASA.  He'd be a perfect fit for Languish, now that I think of it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2014, 09:42:38 AM
I'm pretty sure he's a left-wing Obama-ite Democrat.  When you're 100% critical of one side and 0% of the other, it's not too hard to connect the dots.  He's a steadfast atheist & sci-fi nerd, plus he works for NASA.  He'd be a perfect fit for Languish, now that I think of it.

Well if you only hang out with Republicans chances are you will spend most of your time being critical of them.  If I do something stupid and go talk politics on NCAA football sites it does not take me long to get labeled as a far left hater of America and God, or on a computer game site where I quickly get labeled as a reactionary Nazi who gains strength from every injustice in the world.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 09:45:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2014, 09:42:38 AM

Well if you only hang out with Republicans chances are you will spend most of your time being critical of them.  If I do something stupid and go talk politics on NCAA football sites it does not take me long to get labeled as a far left hater of America and God, or on a computer game site where I quickly get labeled as a reactionary Nazi who gains strength from every injustice in the world.

:hmm:

Being a democrat is mandatory in SF and little time is spend discussing the failures of democrats.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2014, 09:46:28 AM
:hmm:

Being a democrat is mandatory in SF and little time is spend discussing the failures of democrats.

I guess I should have qualified that with the caveat that you have big issues with both parties to the point you will complain about them.  Or just said that is how things work for me.