News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Family and Politics

Started by Eddie Teach, March 13, 2014, 08:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do your politics compare with those of others in your extended family?

Considerably left of the family
7 (21.2%)
Considerably right of the family
3 (9.1%)
Definitely an outlier, but it doesn't fit well on a left/right spectrum
2 (6.1%)
Pretty close to most of the family ideologically
12 (36.4%)
My family varies too much to give a decent point of comparison
5 (15.2%)
We don't talk about such things
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2014, 09:45:06 AM
Well if you only hang out with Republicans chances are you will spend most of your time being critical of them.  If I do something stupid and go talk politics on NCAA football sites it does not take me long to get labeled as a far left hater of America and God, or on a computer game site where I quickly get labeled as a reactionary Nazi who gains strength from every injustice in the world.

I think it's more of a rebellion against dad thing in his case.  My uncle is a retired CIA guy who keeps the channel locked to Fox News all day long.  These days I don't think he spends a lot of time around Republicans.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

or on a computer game site where I quickly get labeled as a reactionary Nazi who gains strength from every injustice in the world.

Funny, you don't get labeled that here...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2014, 09:52:41 AM
or on a computer game site where I quickly get labeled as a reactionary Nazi who gains strength from every injustice in the world.

Well we also talk a lot of NCAA football here.  It all balances out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2014, 09:52:41 AM

Yeah, that's my role :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

But you probably don't get labeled a commie on the football boards. Or anywhere.

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 13, 2014, 10:39:29 AM
But you probably don't get labeled a commie on the football boards. Or anywhere.

Oh for godsake mr. literal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Thing is, most computer gaming sites you could probably be labeled a Nazi *and* a communist. Languish just has a long history of adversarial centrists beating down on everyone.  ;)

MadImmortalMan

I have one uncle who is a leftie and so are his kids' families. His son has worked some fairly high-profile jobs in Illinois politics and also Washington. That's my uncle, aunt, two of my cousins and me.

The entire rest of the family are all way to the right, and we're talking like 50-75 people. So I'm dramatically outnumbered.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

You consider yourself a leftie?

I've always thought of you as the quintessential swing voter centrist.

MadImmortalMan

Well, compared to my family I'm a commie.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2014, 09:51:30 AM
Well if you only hang out with Republicans chances are you will spend most of your time being critical of them.  If I do something stupid and go talk politics on NCAA football sites it does not take me long to get labeled as a far left hater of America and God, or on a computer game site where I quickly get labeled as a reactionary Nazi who gains strength from every injustice in the world.

I think it's more of a rebellion against dad thing in his case.  My uncle is a retired CIA guy who keeps the channel locked to Fox News all day long.  These days I don't think he spends a lot of time around Republicans.

If that's the modus operati for CIA guys, then it's no wonder our intelligence operations are always a step behind.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

My Führerprinzip doesn't allow deviant political views in my family.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Outlier in that I'm allowed to have a political opinion. Most of my family would likely be considered right-wing if you took their beliefs, although extreme pacifism and condemnation of wealth don't really fit that.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2014, 12:00:28 PM
If that's the modus operati for CIA guys, then it's no wonder our intelligence operations are always a step behind.

Well if our intelligence operations were run by retired CIA guys, then yeah-- we'd be in trouble.

Anyway, he was a gadget guy, not a field agent or analyst.  We sometimes call him "Uncle Q".

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2014, 12:23:42 PM
Anyway, he was a gadget guy, not a field agent or analyst.  We sometimes call him "Uncle Q".

:lol:

Man your family is cooler than mine :(