News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Family and Politics

Started by Eddie Teach, March 13, 2014, 08:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do your politics compare with those of others in your extended family?

Considerably left of the family
7 (21.2%)
Considerably right of the family
3 (9.1%)
Definitely an outlier, but it doesn't fit well on a left/right spectrum
2 (6.1%)
Pretty close to most of the family ideologically
12 (36.4%)
My family varies too much to give a decent point of comparison
5 (15.2%)
We don't talk about such things
4 (12.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2014, 01:11:33 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 14, 2014, 10:20:33 AM
He's probably more of a party man than you, though.  I don't remember if or where they still have this option, but he was proud to have voted in every election by just pulling the 'Republican' lever and walking out of the booth.

I try to avoid voting a straight GOP ticket if I can.  Occasionally I find a Democrat candidate I like for some local election.  More often than that, though, I may do a protest vote for a Libertarian-- particularly when the race isn't very close.

I vote straight small-c-conservative (and I very much regret the one time I voted Libertarian), but of course federally has meant I've voted Reform-Canadian Alliance-Conservative, and provincially have voted Progressive Conservative-Yukon Party-Wildrose Alliance.

Canadian party politics are so much more interesting than southof the border...  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Beenherebefore

That former defence secretary going on about aliens seems particularly interesting. Same with the mayor of Toronto.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Barrister

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 14, 2014, 01:40:50 PM
That former defence secretary going on about aliens seems particularly interesting. Same with the mayor of Toronto.

Who, Paul Hellyer?  He was Defence Minister 50 years ago.  Meh.

I'll give you Rob Ford though.

Neil

I couldn't bring myself to vote for the Wildrose last election.  I think I'm a little too conservative for them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2014, 01:46:18 PM
Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 14, 2014, 01:40:50 PM

Who, Paul Hellyer?  He was Defence Minister 50 years ago.  Meh.

I'll give you Rob Ford though.

Ford's on another level than most. Exactly what level is hard to say.

Hellyer I suppose is just old. Or dead? Made the rounds on some Facebook group I sometimes visit today again with the alien interview. That's the sole reason I remembered him.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 01:50:38 PM
I couldn't bring myself to vote for the Wildrose last election.  I think I'm a little too conservative for them.

And how are you feeling about that decision now? :yeahright:

Caliga

My mother is a liberal Democrat and my dad is a hardcore Republican, though he likes to pretend he's more of a moderate than he really is (he is extremely homophobic for example and so is opposed to gay rights of any kind).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

A Liberal Democrat? :w00t:

Oh wait...a liberal Democrat  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

In Michigan the Democrat party is a coalition between the unions (dominated by the United Auto Workers) and the cities (dominated by Detroit.)  (There's a real lesson in this, if organized crime and ordinary criminals can get along why can't the rest of us?)  Since we're not from Detroit and my family isn't a blue collar one everyone in my family is Republican leaning (especially at the state level.)  My parents and my youngest brother are significantly more socially conservative than I am. 

Here in Florida things are different.  I'm tempted to vote Libertarian as the laws we have aren't stopping anyone or even slowing anyone down.  ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2014, 01:54:43 PM
I'm still alright.  I definitely didn't vote for the PCs either.  In fact, I had to spoil my ballot by writing 'none of the above' on it.  The Wildrose leaves me unconvinced and wary, but I'm delighting in the meltdown of the Redford government.  Her union supporters have cooled on her, and her mishandling of all the constant expense scandals has turned most people against her.  The problem is that there really isn't a credible opposition, so even if there was an election right away, she'd win by default.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 02:31:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2014, 01:54:43 PM
I'm still alright.  I definitely didn't vote for the PCs either.  In fact, I had to spoil my ballot by writing 'none of the above' on it.  The Wildrose leaves me unconvinced and wary, but I'm delighting in the meltdown of the Redford government.  Her union supporters have cooled on her, and her mishandling of all the constant expense scandals has turned most people against her.  The problem is that there really isn't a credible opposition, so even if there was an election right away, she'd win by default.

I dunno.  I felt uneasy voting Wildrose last time, but I'm feeling much better about it now.  Smith has seemed like a solid opposition leader, and the party hasn't gotten into any self-induced wounds by stupid behaviour.

Neil

They have done a good job of ducking and covering, implying that they learned well from their election strategy of 'every kook in the party shoot your mouth off about social conservatism'.  They haven't earned my trust yet though.  Sitting around and letting Redford hang herself works up to a point, but they need to do some talking to convince people that they're not just right-wing populists.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 02:36:50 PM
They have done a good job of ducking and covering, implying that they learned well from their election strategy of 'every kook in the party shoot your mouth off about social conservatism'.  They haven't earned my trust yet though.  Sitting around and letting Redford hang herself works up to a point, but they need to do some talking to convince people that they're not just right-wing populists.

I'm okay with "just right wing populists". :)

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on March 14, 2014, 02:41:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2014, 02:36:50 PM
I'm okay with "just right wing populists". :)
I'm a little less so, since I live in the city and do not own property.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2014, 10:27:21 AM
I didn't know Archie Bunker came in the Jew flavor.  :hmm:

My granddad would definitely not be mistaken for a Jew. :lol:  I'm a mischling anyhow.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)