If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2014, 05:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

Super Strength
1 (2.1%)
Super Speed
1 (2.1%)
Invulnerability
0 (0%)
Regenerative Healing
5 (10.4%)
Telepathy
1 (2.1%)
Teleportation
3 (6.3%)
Telekinesis
0 (0%)
Time Control
12 (25%)
Mind Control
8 (16.7%)
X-ray vision
0 (0%)
Pyrokinesis
0 (0%)
Flight
2 (4.2%)
Electromagnetic Control
1 (2.1%)
Shape Shifting
2 (4.2%)
Invisibility
3 (6.3%)
Other
9 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2014, 05:44:03 PM
What it says on the tin. I ask because this is a question I've asked my students and their most common answer strikes me as odd. I want to see if it's preference limited to my students, or if it's a sentiment that is more widespread.

You need to be more specific.
I mean, there is a massive tactical difference from Regenerate/Healing in 60 seconds and doing so instantly.
Also, side perks. Does Regenerative Healing means immortality?

Mind Control, isn't this part of telepathy? How powerful mind control? Can you order people around, how many at a time?
Can you "possess" people? Can you see through their eyes when you are holding back, hands off style? Can you "transfer" when you lose a body?

Invulnerability, what kind? Force shields? Can you use it offensively?
Can you shield other people? Can you "push" your shields down to flight, or at least hover?
Can you keep the water out?

So many questions......

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: DGuller on March 05, 2014, 05:52:16 PM
So many choices.  :(  I'd like to have a superpower to add all the superpowers listed above, so that I don't have to pick just one.

They did that in Heroes, then realized it was overpowered and unbalanced the story line, and went to one power at a time, by contact.

Siege

Quote from: The Larch on March 05, 2014, 05:56:23 PM
Flight, assuming one can get high enough without freezing, and travel at a decent speed.

I would never consider flight because teleportation can do all that and more.
You can teleport high and glide down, when you get too low, teleport higher again.
No airplane can out run you, since you can always teleport into the plane.

When it comes down to it, there are only a few superpowers that are really valuable.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on March 05, 2014, 07:23:09 PM
Voted other: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFDra1XimA

They did that one in one episode of Misfits, turned out to be much more dangerous that you could think of.

Siege

stop with the videos.
Just tell me what the fuck you are talking about.

Jacob

There isn't really much choice is there? If I could have one super power it would have to be the United States of America.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on March 05, 2014, 05:53:45 PM
Regenerative healing, if it includes immortality.

If immortality is not on the table, I choose telekinesis, which is like mastery of magnetism but can't be defeated by rubber bullets or plastic helicopters or similar shit such as has threatened Magneto in the past.

If you controlled electromagnetism you could vaporize rubber bullets with daylight, raise the potential of the ground so much that lightning shot up and downed the plastic helicopters, then upband your bodies infrared radiation to gama-rays in order to give cancer to writers who come up with premises such as those.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

With invisibility you could watch chicks take a shower, but with time control you could stop time, check their boobs out and then start time again without them knowing.  Tough call. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Time.  Make billions off stock market, somehow convince Catherine Deneuve and Monica Vitti circa Belle de Jour to have sex with me.  Simultaneously. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 09:28:04 PM
With invisibility you could watch chicks take a shower, but with time control you could stop time, check their boobs out and then start time again without them knowing.  Tough call. :hmm:

But with mind control....

Siege

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 05, 2014, 09:32:50 PM
Cal is a creeper.

At least he didn't contemplate the possible uses for mind control.