The Mammoth Cometh: NYT Magazine longread on bringing back extinct animals

Started by Queequeg, February 27, 2014, 11:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I think we should bring back a few animals and learn how to do it and see what impacts it might have, just in case we ever need to do it someday for some reason.

Something as huge as a mammoth might be a bad idea for a first go though. Well and there is also the issue this animal has been extinct for thousands of years. An animal that became extinct last year might be a better idea.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zanza

Aren't we making 1000s of species every year go extinct from habitat loss? Seems to be a better idea to work on reducing or stopping that than trying to bring back the mammoth...

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 17, 2017, 11:59:57 AM
Aren't we making 1000s of species every year go extinct from habitat loss? Seems to be a better idea to work on reducing or stopping that than trying to bring back the mammoth...

Well one may in the service to the other. Bringing back extinct species that is, not necessarily the mammoth.

LaCroix

Aren't we making 1000s of species every year go extinct from habitat loss? Seems to be a better idea to work on reducing or stopping that

why?

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 12:08:30 PM
Aren't we making 1000s of species every year go extinct from habitat loss? Seems to be a better idea to work on reducing or stopping that

why?

Because it is potentially damaging to us both existentially and economically.

LaCroix

isn't "being damaged existentially" the price to pay for our civilizing? and some industries die, that's life.

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on February 17, 2017, 01:55:13 PM
isn't "being damaged existentially" the price to pay for our civilizing? and some industries die, that's life.

Yes but earth is an industry that is too big to fail.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2017, 11:52:00 AM
I think we should bring back a few animals and learn how to do it and see what impacts it might have, just in case we ever need to do it someday for some reason.

Something as huge as a mammoth might be a bad idea for a first go though. Well and there is also the issue this animal has been extinct for thousands of years. An animal that became extinct last year might be a better idea.
better start with something big, yet manageable.  If you lose track of it, it's easy to hunt them down.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

garbon

That was mentioned in the article and strikes me as a rather tangential statement. Certainly we should do that, but the geneticists working on this can't be easily reallocated to become conservationists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

We should start with Tyrannasaurus Rex. Go big or go home.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on February 17, 2017, 07:37:02 PM

We should start with Tyrannasaurus Rex. Go big or go home.

Oh if only we could.