Liberation Theology is in - should Yi be concerned?

Started by crazy canuck, February 25, 2014, 11:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2014, 01:33:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 12:42:13 PM
helping the poor is moral for Catholics, and goes further by saying that not doing so is a sin.

apart from emphasizing the sin part, isn't this Christianity 101?

Yes. Which is why it's nice seeing it being emphasized compared to things like the American culture wars; it's also a nice contrast to things like prosperity theology.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 01:07:07 PM
"Leaving poverty as it is" is a strange turn of phrase that I'm having trouble deciphering.

Shorthand for relying on the following two mechanisms to address poverty:

- the shittiness of being poor to motivate people to escape poverty through individual effort;
- deregulated Capitalism to provide general economic growth, improving the standard of living of everyone, including the poor.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:05:14 PM
Yes. Which is why it's nice seeing it being emphasized compared to things like the American culture wars;

The "be nice to others & help poor people" message has been emphasized all along.  It just doesn't usually tend to make headlines for some reason.

Quoteit's also a nice contrast to things like prosperity theology.

First I've ever heard of that term.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:18:59 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 01:07:07 PM
"Leaving poverty as it is" is a strange turn of phrase that I'm having trouble deciphering.

Shorthand for relying on the following two mechanisms to address poverty:

Sounds more like it'd be shorthand for not wanting to do anything to address poverty.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:34:51 PM

Prosperity theology is the teaching that wealth is a sign of God's favor; if you're rich, God really loves you.  If you're not, God doesn't love you as much.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:34:51 PMThe "be nice to others & help poor people" message has been emphasized all along.  It just doesn't usually tend to make headlines for some reason.

It's making headlines with this Pope, in contrast to the previous one; which is one of the things I like about him.

QuoteFirst I've ever heard of that term.

You're probably familiar with Jim Bakker and Oral Roberts, at least by reputation? If you care, the wikipedia article seems decent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:36:07 PMSounds more like it'd be shorthand for not wanting to do anything to address poverty.

Well, yes. That's kind of my point.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:41:32 PM
You're probably familiar with Jim Bakker and Oral Roberts, at least by reputation? If you care, the wikipedia article seems decent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosperity_theology

Ah, got it.  Bleh to that as well.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:42:19 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:36:07 PMSounds more like it'd be shorthand for not wanting to do anything to address poverty.

Well, yes. That's kind of my point.

Then why not state that up front?

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2014, 04:38:13 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:34:51 PM

Prosperity theology is the teaching that wealth is a sign of God's favor; if you're rich, God really loves you.  If you're not, God doesn't love you as much.

That reminds me of an entry from Bierce's "The Devil's Dictionary"

RICHES, n.

A gift from Heaven signifying, "This is my beloved son, in whom I am well pleased."
John D. Rockefeller

The reward of toil and virtue.
J.P. Morgan

The sayings of many in the hands of one.
Eugene Debs

To these excellent definitions the inspired lexicographer feels that he can add nothing of value.

Did the "Prosperity theology" of Rockefeller survive the Gilded Age?  I don't think I've encountered it anywhere else.  :unsure:

Edit: Written before Jacob's post.  I had no idea what Oral Roberts' theology was.  :Embarrass:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:44:17 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:41:32 PM

Ah, got it.  Bleh to that as well.

On that, at least, we're in accord :cheers:

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on February 26, 2014, 04:44:46 PMThen why not state that up front?

Because I think some people dress their unwillingness to address poverty up in those points and claim it's the best way to help the poor.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on February 26, 2014, 04:45:07 PM
Did the "Prosperity theology" of Rockefeller survive the Gilded Age?  I don't think I've encountered it anywhere else.  :unsure:

I've read an article or two on it.  Certainly not met anyone who professed the creed.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on February 26, 2014, 04:46:25 PM
Because I think some people dress their unwillingness to address poverty up in those points and claim it's the best way to help the poor.

By this logic Deng Xiao Ping was not "addressing poverty" and "leaving poverty as it is" when he started China moving towards a market economy.