News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How often do you drink?

Started by Queequeg, February 13, 2014, 08:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you drink?

World consolidation into a few Mega States?
4 (6.2%)
More than 4 times a week, with some going in to extreme drunkenness
1 (1.5%)
More than 4 times a week, rarely to extreme drunkenness
12 (18.5%)
Between 4-2 times a week, with the occasional actual drunkenness
3 (4.6%)
Between 4-2 times a week, much less frequently to real drunkenness
9 (13.8%)
About once a week, frequently to real drunkenness
2 (3.1%)
About once a week, rarely to actual drunkenness
10 (15.4%)
Maybe once or twice a month, but frequently to actual drunkenness
2 (3.1%)
Maybe once or twice a month, and of that rarely to real drunkenness
9 (13.8%)
Very infrequently, only a few times a year or at special events.
6 (9.2%)
I have previously imbibed alcoholic drinks, but have not in a long time.
4 (6.2%)
It is prohibited by my religion.
0 (0%)
Never; it never appealed to me.
3 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Brazen

One or two bottles of wine a week spread out over three or four evenings, rarely but spectacularly to drunkenness.

Neil

I have a glass or two of scotch every week or two.  I haven't been really drunk since the 2010 AFC Championship game.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Duque de Bragança

Depends. Back home be in Paris or Bragança, with the family around, that will be a couple of glasses of wine per meal and nothing much else besides the occasional beer or glass of port birthdays or special holidays such as New Year's Eve whith champagne.
If not, a couple of beers when going out or a cognac if I'm lucky to find some decent one.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on February 14, 2014, 06:18:03 AM
:lol:

It's just a pet peeve of mine, I have a friend here who uses them every time she gets out and it irks me a bit. She also has legitimate stomach issues, but anyway that's not their proper use. That's what you get by being a pharmacist's son.  :P

What an odd view. Proper use?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Legbiter

I last drank on NYE, not a drop since then. Since I went from lardass to lean to buff my tolerance has nosedived and I'm a very cheap date these days. Also, it take DAYS now for me to feel 100% after a few beers or a bottle of wine. So the old girl's not in her previous fighting form.

Clear spirits drunk neat or mixed into fizzy water with some lime give me the least trouble these days.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

DontSayBanana

Generally I have a drink or two every couple of months.  The couple times I've done more, it hasn't really fazed me.
Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: katmai on February 14, 2014, 07:27:05 AM
Only time ever blacked out was when 22 or so. 12 beers and fifth of tequila will usually cause that to occur.

You'd have given Andre the Giant a run for his money.

I'm 2-4 times a week (varies depending on festivals & other events) and almost exclusively beer these days.  Trying to keep it down closer to 2 times per week to help me get in better shape, but every time I turn around one of the local breweries is putting out a new beer or I get something from my favorite brewery to test.

Plus I have a bad habit of buying too many growlers of fresh beer when I'm out and those usually need to be consumed within 2 weeks or the beer goes flat.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

I have never gotten drunk intentionally since a few times when I was younger just to see what it was like.

But I drink once or twice a week.  If we have any beer, which we usually do not, I will have one with dinner and I always get a beer when we go out to eat.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

I didn't drink for 23 years.  Now I drink a glass of wine with dinner most nights, and when I go out I have a beer.  I am not 19 any more, so I don't just sit around and get plastered.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Capetan Mihali

I used to drink a glass of beer or wine with meals regularly, but I find that makes me feel more tired than anything.  These days, I like to have a vermouth and soda before dinner. :frog:  But usually no alcohol with the meal.

I'm a situational person, though.  I went to a low-key New Year's Eve party this year, and had 2 drinks in all.  And I've gone on extended dieting periods where I cut out booze entirely.  But if I'm in a social scenario where people are "drinking drinking," I have a pretty high tolerance and don't usually embarrass myself much, so I'll join in fully. 
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 02:30:45 PM
When it starts to have noticeable negative effects on the rest of your life.

What about the dependence vector?  Or is that just incorporated in negative effects?

E.g., the fellow who is good at his job, is good to his wife and kids, but pretty much always works his way through a six-pack during a workweek evening, and feels somewhat agitated internally if he can't for whatever reason?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Admiral Yi

That person would be much better off seeing the Capetano about some blues and some greens.

I dunno.  No serious answer at the moment.

Capetan Mihali

I've just noticed kind of two basic styles of over-drinking among people I've known -- the weekend-binging, Josq-facedown-in-a-kebab-on-the-night-bus style; and the more subdued but continual, couple-of-beers-at-the-bar-after-work, splitting-a-bottle-of-wine-for-dinner, a-little-whiskey-watching-TV-til-bed style.

EDIT:  And then there are the pros who combine both; I haven't known many people (in a non-work capacity) with that tendency fully expressed.

garbon

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on February 14, 2014, 02:35:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 14, 2014, 02:30:45 PM
When it starts to have noticeable negative effects on the rest of your life.

What about the dependence vector?  Or is that just incorporated in negative effects?

E.g., the fellow who is good at his job, is good to his wife and kids, but pretty much always works his way through a six-pack during a workweek evening, and feels somewhat agitated internally if he can't for whatever reason?

I'd say that's too much. After all, it'll be a big disruption to him taken away...and it isn't even something that's good for his health.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon