News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How often do you drink?

Started by Queequeg, February 13, 2014, 08:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you drink?

World consolidation into a few Mega States?
4 (6.2%)
More than 4 times a week, with some going in to extreme drunkenness
1 (1.5%)
More than 4 times a week, rarely to extreme drunkenness
12 (18.5%)
Between 4-2 times a week, with the occasional actual drunkenness
3 (4.6%)
Between 4-2 times a week, much less frequently to real drunkenness
9 (13.8%)
About once a week, frequently to real drunkenness
2 (3.1%)
About once a week, rarely to actual drunkenness
10 (15.4%)
Maybe once or twice a month, but frequently to actual drunkenness
2 (3.1%)
Maybe once or twice a month, and of that rarely to real drunkenness
9 (13.8%)
Very infrequently, only a few times a year or at special events.
6 (9.2%)
I have previously imbibed alcoholic drinks, but have not in a long time.
4 (6.2%)
It is prohibited by my religion.
0 (0%)
Never; it never appealed to me.
3 (4.6%)

Total Members Voted: 65

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 08:22:21 PM
Self-explanatory poll.  I'm about once or twice a month, frequently to real drunkenness because my tolerance is so low. 
haven't touched a drink in nearly two weeks.  I think I'm far away from "World consolidation into a few Mega States?" for now, at least. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: Queequeg on February 14, 2014, 12:34:46 AM
Huh.  I find this very strange.  I can drink quite a bit, say around 4 hard-hitting cocktails, and wake up feeling, if anything, refreshed.

It depends on quantity, speed, accompanying food etc. Though I have to say even feeling tipsy is more of a nuisance these days. I like to spend my sparse free time clear headed. If I were allowed to drink at work, though ...
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Yeah, so many other factors. Some nights I've drunk liters of vodka and felt fine the next morning, other nights I had two beers and felt like hell.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

I have over 10 different beer brands totaling about 25 beers in my house.
I will drink maybe 3-4 a month.  No where near drunkeness as that would mean consumption of upwards of 15 beers or shots to get me plastered.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Richard Hakluyt

I've cut down a lot over the past year, so I only drink about once a week now, usual dose is 3 pints of beer. Every now and then I forget how old I am and overdo it.

I'm in agreement with Syt's comments, nowadays the cost-benefit analysis for drinking is getting increasingly unfavourable for me. The drink often seems to have no effect, then if I keep on drinking tips over into drunkenness too easily..............the middle ground of finding things more entertaining and fun is being squeezed. I've even skipped the Saturday night drinks a couple of times lately, there seems to be a feedback loop in operation which leads to cutting down even more.

katmai

I've always said the upside of being a social drinker is my anti-social behavior.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grinning_Colossus

About once a week, though I haven't gotten drunk since I took the LSAT in December.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

The Brain

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on February 14, 2014, 03:20:32 AM
About once a week, though I haven't gotten drunk since I took the LSAT in December.

How did that work out for you?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 08:58:49 PM
TBH I actually don't like that definition though.  I think "incoherence" is probably the best distinguisher from drunk to non-drunk.

I met incoherence once. I didn't like him. He hasn't been back since.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Between 2-4 times a week. Friday or Saturday I usually end up properly drunk, but not always.

My problem is that due to size and habituation, getting drunk is expensive.

PJL

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2014, 01:42:45 AM
Yeah, so many other factors. Some nights I've drunk liters of vodka and felt fine the next morning, other nights I had two beers and felt like hell.

It's the dark stuff in beer (tannins?) that gives you the hangover. That why.

PJL

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 08:56:53 PM
That depends.  I brownout; I drink, have fun, then misjudge the amount of alcohol I need to consume to continue the present state of drunkenness, and then become tired and have to go home or find a place to nap/sleep. 

Pretty much the same for me too.