Comcast to acquire Time Warner Cable in $45.2 billion deal

Started by garbon, February 12, 2014, 11:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/comcast-plans-acquire-time-warner-cable-45-2-031440546--sector.html

FUCK!!!!!! And the world got even shittier. :angry:

QuoteComcast , the largest U.S. cable company, will buy No. 2 Time Warner Cable for $45.2 billion in an all-stock deal, or $158.82 per share, according to people familiar with the matter.

Comcast is planning to acquire all of Time Warner Cable's shares in a friendly deal set to be announced on Thursday morning, said the sources, who did not want to be identified because the matter was not public.

The proposed combination would be subject to regulatory approval and the two companies expect to close the transaction by the end of the year, the sources said.

Representatives of Comcast and Time Warner Cable declined to comment.

The proposed merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable would create $1.5 billion in operating synergies, with 50 percent of those synergies expected in the first year, the sources said. Comcast is planning to divest 3 million of its U.S. subscribers as part of the deal.

The deal will be accretive to Comcast, which plans to expand its stock buyback program to $10 billion at the close of the transaction, they said.

Smaller cable operator Charter Communications had also been pursuing Time Warner Cable. Charter offered $132.50 per share in a cash and stock deal last month that was rejected.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

The proposed merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable would create $1.5 billion in operating synergies

Oooo synergies. Get ready for some shareholder value.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Sounds like a trust that needs to be busted. 

Edit:  Or nationalized.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maximus

Quote from: Neil on February 13, 2014, 12:17:21 AM
Sounds like a trust that needs to be busted. 

Edit:  Or nationalized.
Could only improve it.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

garbon

I think this is one time where I'd be fine opting for a nationalized internet. Information wants to be free, Obama.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I suppose I should have said when and not where. I'm steamed. :angry: :blush:

fhdz

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on February 13, 2014, 12:55:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:52:00 AM

garbon <_<

Not even the most strict employer will take issue with steamed. :)

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 01:01:39 AM
Quote from: fhdz on February 13, 2014, 12:55:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2014, 12:52:00 AM

garbon <_<

Not even the most strict employer will take issue with steamed. :)

:D My employers are Catholic. I'm sure they'd find something wrong.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2014, 12:06:30 AM
The proposed merger between Comcast and Time Warner Cable would create $1.5 billion in operating synergies

Oooo synergies. Get ready for some shareholder value.

I'm sure Yi is going to make out like a bandit on this deal.

Phillip V

I get internet from Time Warner Cable for about $70/month. 30mbps down; 5 mbps up

Will prices go up or speeds get faster?

MadImmortalMan

I'm guessing prices will go up, speeds will go down and customer service will sag.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

katmai

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2014, 01:35:01 AM
I'm guessing prices will go up, speeds will go down and customer service will sag.  :P
Progress!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son