Has history misjudged the generals of World War One?

Started by viper37, February 12, 2014, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2014, 09:27:48 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
He had been a major in the Territorial Army, so his jump to major and then lieutenant colonel wasn't totally ridiculous.  It's not like they made him a division commander or something.
Still, he was a retired junior officer who got bumped up in rank because of his political connections, as described by Timmay.  Agree that it was not totally ridiculous.
Did he really get bumped up in rank due to political connections?  I guess they didn't hurt Major Churchill's ambition to become Lieutenant-Colonel Churchill, although he would rather have been Brigadier Churchill.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: chipwich on February 12, 2014, 09:35:10 PM
Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2014, 02:02:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2014, 12:00:43 PM
Well they were actually professional generals, not Lt. Colonels promoted to Major General or retired junior officers with political connections made Colonels or Bg. Generals.

Read a biography of Winston Churchill; he was precisely a retired junior officer (second lieutenant) with political connections, promoted to lieutenant colonel and given command of a battalion after he left office as First Lord of the Admiralty.

How do you get to be First Lord of the Admiralty after 2nd LT even if you have like, ducal blood or something? Shouldn't you be some sort of Lord or Admiral first?
You become Home Secretary first, and then you switch jobs with Reginald McKenna.

It's a political position.  You don't need to have served to be First Lord.  First Sea Lord is the highest ranking professional, First Lord of the Admiralty is his boss.  It's like the difference between the Naval Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Navy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

chipwich

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
It's like the difference between the Naval Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Navy.

In the U.S. this setup is based on civilian control of the military. But doesn't being a lord make it not really civilian, since lordship is a vestige of knights&dukes, which in turn used to compromise the military?

Also, wouldn't being First Lord make Churchill a lord? I thought he specifically didn't want to be a lord so his son could be in the house of commons. How does that work?

Sheilbh

The Prime Minister is technically First Lord of the Treasury. It doesn't make him a Lord any more than being Lord Lieutenant of Devon does.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I get the impression that a lot of the history of the Great War were written with an eye toward class conflict.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2014, 10:00:42 PM
The Prime Minister is technically First Lord of the Treasury. It doesn't make him a Lord any more than being Lord Lieutenant of Devon does.

What does the Lord Lieutenant of Devon do?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2014, 10:12:07 PM
What does the Lord Lieutenant of Devon do?
They basically deputise for the Queen/Royal Family. So they normally guide them around when they visit the county. They attend civic events, give out minor honours, turn up at the odd military/cadet event, that sort of thing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: chipwich on February 12, 2014, 09:57:55 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2014, 09:49:25 PM
It's like the difference between the Naval Chief of Staff and the Secretary of the Navy.

In the U.S. this setup is based on civilian control of the military. But doesn't being a lord make it not really civilian, since lordship is a vestige of knights&dukes, which in turn used to compromise the military?

Also, wouldn't being First Lord make Churchill a lord? I thought he specifically didn't want to be a lord so his son could be in the house of commons. How does that work?
In Britain this setup is based on civilian control of the military.  Not only does lordship have nothing to do with the military in the modern era, but First Lord of the Admiralty is just a title, held over from antiquity (sort of like how the Secretary of War doesn't file memos and get coffee for the other members of the Cabinet).  In fact, a slim majority of modern First Lords haven't been Lords at all.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2014, 02:04:31 PM
Slight aside, I was looking at the Jenkins biography recently - worth getting?

It's OK, but far too hagiographic so fails to really understand the man - his greatness and his many failings.

Jenkins' biog of Gladstone is much better.

CountDeMoney

derspiess will just blame it all on Al Haig anyway.

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2014, 09:59:41 AM
derspiess will just blame it all on Al Haig anyway.

Well, he was in control there, so the blame must fall on him... :D
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.