Has history misjudged the generals of World War One?

Started by viper37, February 12, 2014, 11:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Excellent piece by the BBC, focusing on Britain's conduct of the war and its general:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zq2y87h#z2x3wmn
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

I think they have.  The generals (well...not just them the armies in general) completely transformed the way war was fought and the equipment and tactics used.  There was no major offensive or operation, in the west anyway, that did not have something about it that was unprecedented in military history, either a new experimental piece of weaponry or a new tactic.  Now granted all of them failed, but they failed in different ways.  The image they just kept sending mass infantry assaults over and over again without any new ideas us not really true.  By 1916 being on the defensive was every bit as deadly as being on the attack.

That is not to say I regard the WWI generals as great geniuses either.  I just don't think they were any more moronic than generals in any other war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2014, 11:38:32 AM
That is not to say I regard the WWI generals as great geniuses either.  I just don't think they were any more moronic than generals in any other war.

Shit, compared to the Union generals in the first couple years of the war, they were all Pattons and Rommels.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on February 12, 2014, 11:41:30 AM
Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2014, 11:38:32 AM

Shit, compared to the Union generals in the first couple years of the war, they were all Pattons and Rommels.
Well they were actually professional generals, not Lt. Colonels promoted to Major General or retired junior officers with political connections made Colonels or Bg. Generals.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Drakken

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2014, 12:00:43 PM
While they were actually professional generals, not Lt. Colonels promoted to Major General or retired junior officers with political connections made Colonels or Bg. Generals.

O RLY?

grumbler

Well they were actually professional generals, not Lt. Colonels promoted to Major General or retired junior officers with political connections made Colonels or Bg. Generals.

Read a biography of Winston Churchill; he was precisely a retired junior officer (second lieutenant) with political connections, promoted to lieutenant colonel and given command of a battalion after he left office as First Lord of the Admiralty.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Slight aside, I was looking at the Jenkins biography recently - worth getting?
Let's bomb Russia!

Zanza

None of them had fought a war remotely like WW1 though and most hadn't fought any war at all.

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2014, 02:04:31 PM

I have it, but haven't really read it yet.  Jenkins has a very quirky style that I think you would like, but which certainly isn't for everyone.  Check out some sample pages to see if you can read him for a thousand pages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2014, 02:19:20 PM

Jenkins has a very quirky style that I think you would like, but which certainly isn't for everyone. 

A Grumbler compliment?  :hmm:

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

I read it  and enjoyed it.  It was a pretty good survey of his life, and I think it benefited from Jenkins' political experience.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2014, 02:02:22 PM

Read a biography of Winston Churchill; he was precisely a retired junior officer (second lieutenant) with political connections, promoted to lieutenant colonel and given command of a battalion after he left office as First Lord of the Admiralty.
He had been a major in the Territorial Army, so his jump to major and then lieutenant colonel wasn't totally ridiculous.  It's not like they made him a division commander or something.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2014, 08:35:07 PM
He had been a major in the Territorial Army, so his jump to major and then lieutenant colonel wasn't totally ridiculous.  It's not like they made him a division commander or something.
Still, he was a retired junior officer who got bumped up in rank because of his political connections, as described by Timmay.  Agree that it was not totally ridiculous.

Bayraktar!

chipwich

Quote from: grumbler on February 12, 2014, 02:02:22 PM

How do you get to be First Lord of the Admiralty after 2nd LT even if you have like, ducal blood or something? Shouldn't you be some sort of Lord or Admiral first?