Comcast to acquire Time Warner Cable in $45.2 billion deal

Started by garbon, February 12, 2014, 11:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 13, 2014, 01:35:01 AM
I'm guessing prices will go up, speeds will go down and customer service will sag.  :P

Shareholders: win.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

Thank Hod Charter lost out.  One of their main call centers is in the office building next to mine, and there are already enough scummy dudes stinking the parking lot up with their smoking and taking up all the parking places with their floppy jalopies. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Berkut

How does the #1 cable company buying the #2 cable company NOT run afoul of anti-monopoly laws?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Two of the most loathsome monopolistic giants merge together?  Ah hell...the only thing that would make this better is if AT&T then bought Comcast.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

garbon

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-comcast-20140212,0,4158731.story#axzz2tDGLGhts

QuoteComcast to buy Time Warner Cable: Say goodbye to the public interest

Reports are swirling around the media universe that Comcast is prepared to announce, as early as Thursday, a deal to acquire Time Warner Cable for north of $45 billion.

The deal would combine the nation's biggest and second-biggest cable firms. Comcast, already No. 1 in subscribers, would end up with about 30 million video customers, a net gain of 8 million (following a reported commitment to divest 3 million subs). It would put that subscriber base together with its ownership of NBCUniversal -- the network, the film studio and several other cable channels.

Let's get to the bottom line. There's no way this combination can conceivably be in the public interest. The deal is a blunt challenge to the Federal Communications Commission and its new chairman, Tom Wheeler; the question is whether the FCC will fold against the economic and political power of these two behemoths.

As the leading provider of Internet services to American homes, Comcast has already shown that it's not above using its effective near-monopoly on Internet connectivity in its service area to stifle competitors. The FCC slapped its wrist after it was caught engaging in this illicit behavior in 2007, but then inexplicably waved through Comcast's acquisition of NBCUniversal in 2011.

The acquisition of Time Warner Cable will simply expand the geographical area subject to its ruthless competitive practices. (Comcast is committed to adhering to standards of net neutrality, which forbid its discriminating among Web services in carrying them to subscribers' homes, until January 2018. That was a condition of the NBCUniversal deal, but after that date the shackles are off.)

Comcast's acquisition of NBCUniversal was a deal that the FCC should never have approved. Here's what we wrote about it in 2011:
"Neither Comcast nor NBC needs this merger for its survival. It won't improve cable TV or Internet technology. It won't by itself lead to more innovative or even more popular television programming. It won't result in more efficient entertainment production.

"In fact, by concentrating economic power in fewer hands, it may lead to less of all that."

Nothing that's happened since the merger has contradicted those predictions.

In fact, since then the threat to a free and open Internet from the concentration of economic power over online services has increased. A federal appeals court ruling last month threw out the FCC's rules protecting the open Internet (on the urging of Verizon, which is Comcast's counterpart as an excessively powerful player in the wireless sphere).

As we wrote at the time, the court ruling made clear that the FCC has all the authority it needs to protect net neutrality, if it only goes about it the right way, but Wheeler has yet to tip his hand about whether, or how, he will do that.

Wheeler spoke publicly just three days ago about "the primacy of 'competition, competition, competition,'" in safeguarding the public interest: "Our competition policy will take the 'see-saw' approach," he told a high-tech conference in Boulder, Colo. "When competition is high, regulation can be low; when competition is low, we are willing to act in the public interest."

The Comcast-Time Warner deal manifestly would be disastrous for the competitive landscape Wheeler says is his paramount goal. The principles he articulated dictate that he and his fellow FCC commissioners must block it. Will he stick to his guns?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

"Public interest"?  "Anti-monopoly laws"?  "Competitive landscape"?  Stop hating America, you fucking communists. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on February 13, 2014, 09:37:57 AM
How does the #1 cable company buying the #2 cable company NOT run afoul of anti-monopoly laws?

All cable companies are regional monopolies.  That's why their rates and services are regulated and subject to approval.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2014, 09:48:21 AM
All cable companies are regional monopolies.  That's why their rates and services are regulated and subject to approval.

Antiquated bullshit is what that is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

This deal stinks.  Time Warner sits three places below DirecTV on the Fortune 500, and their numbers are very similar.  So to give you an idea how bad this deal is, it'd be like Comcast buying out DirecTV directly.  I really hope someone points out the antitrust involved.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Anti-trust.  You people are so Taft Administration.

Wake up, faggots.  When are you going to fucking learn that it's all about shareholder value anymore.  #1 absorbing #2 is what drives profit and the market.

Anti-trust is for baseball and 10th grade US history class.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2014, 10:08:51 AM
Wake up, faggots.  When are you going to fucking learn that it's all about shareholder value anymore.  #1 absorbing #2 is what drives profit and the market.

And yet the government has prevented mergers in the 21st century. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.