Senator threatens NFL's tax-exempt status over the Redskins name

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 10, 2014, 06:50:36 PM
The NFL is NOT tax-exempt. Its revenues get get passed down to the teams and the teams pay taxes on it.

The NFL is a separate organization from the individual franchises and it is tax exempt.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 10, 2014, 07:21:42 PM
The NFL is a separate organization from the individual franchises and it is tax exempt.

Sure but it's a pass-through entity for those funds. It has no profit, right?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

I thought the NFL was a simply a trade association in name, and the teams were the profiting parties, along with other separate entities as NFL Properties, Inc.

Sheilbh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 10, 2014, 06:50:36 PM
The NFL is NOT tax-exempt. Its revenues get get passed down to the teams and the teams pay taxes on it.
Apparently it's explicitly in the tax code:
QuotePreviously, a sentence in Section 501(c)6 had granted not-for-profit status to "business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, or boards of trade." Since 1966, the code has read: "business leagues, chambers of commerce, real-estate boards, boards of trade, or professional football leagues."

Why doesn't baseball get the exemption? Apparently golf and hockey do :mellow:

Interesting that getting rid of the exemption seems to attract support from both parties, Tom Coburn's very keen for example.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Wasn't there a connection regarding the NFL's tax exempt status, and MLB's lack of it, with the fact that the NFL has a salary cap, and MLB does not?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2014, 08:06:23 PM
Why doesn't baseball get the exemption?

My guess is because there's no pooled revenue in baseball. 

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2014, 08:09:29 PM

Oh yeah, that too.  So probably the entire economic structural differences between the two organizations.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 10, 2014, 08:09:29 PM

This is true; disparity in team payrolls, ticket sales, independent revenue streams like television networks, etc.

Hell, the reason the Orioles don't spend any money anymore is because of their revenue deal from MASN, which they share with the Nationals, which suits Peter Asbestos just fine.  No reason for a risky return on investment like payroll when the money's flowing in from MASN's Nationals and their fans.  Why spend money on winning when the Nationals are doing it for you?

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 10, 2014, 08:09:14 PM
Wasn't there a connection regarding the NFL's tax exempt status, and MLB's lack of it, with the fact that the NFL has a salary cap, and MLB does not?

According to the IRS, the NFL's special exemption has to do with the player pension program.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

KRonn

I never cared for the name and don't care either way if they keep it, but it isn't a name to demean Amer Indians. I think it comes from the practice of some Indians who painted themselves red before battle to show ferocity.

Heh, maybe to get even with the Senator the team should move out of Washington DC. That may not change its tax status but the revenue from the team, players and stadium would be gone from DC.

Barrister

Quote from: KRonn on February 11, 2014, 10:28:09 AM
I never cared for the name and don't care either way if they keep it, but it isn't a name to demean Amer Indians. I think it comes from the practice of some Indians who painted themselves red before battle to show ferocity.

The meaning of words change over time.

Now, in 2014, the term "Redskin" is a slur.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Even some Navajo codetalkers were bought off to say it's not a slur...