Senator threatens NFL's tax-exempt status over the Redskins name

Started by jimmy olsen, February 10, 2014, 10:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The name will changed by the end of the decade I think. The pressure is just going to continue to mount.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10430475/senator-threatens-nfl-tax-exempt-status-washington-redskins-name

The letter
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/page/politics/letter-to-roger-goodell-on-redskins-name/803/

QuoteLawmakers warn NFL about Redskins

Updated: February 10, 2014, 9:43 AM ET
By John Keim | ESPN.com

The fight to change the Redskins name won't die. And it's become an issue among the nation's lawmakers.

Two members of Congress will send a letter to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday, telling him to publicly announce support for a name change -- and that the NFL can no longer ignore the issue.

The letter, obtained by multiple media outlets, was written by Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) and Rep. Tom Cole (R-Okla.). Cantwell is chairman of the Senate Indian Affairs Committee, while Cole is a senior member of the appropriations committee -- and a member of the Chickasaw Tribe.

"The National Football League can no longer ignore this and perpetuate the use of this name as anything but what it is: a racial slur," the letter stated, according to the New York Times.

Cantwell told the newspaper the Indian Affairs Committee would "definitely" examine the NFL's tax-exempt status as a means to apply pressure.

"You're getting a tax break for educational purposes, but you're still embracing a name that people see as a slur and encouraging it," Cantwell told the Times.

The letter reiterated that stance, telling the NFL it's on the "wrong side of history." That's why, it stated, that the NFL should "take a formal position in support of a name change."

The Redskins have received "more than 7,000 letters and emails" in favor of keeping the name, with "almost 200 from people who identified themselves as Native Americans or as family members of Native Americans," the team said in a statement released Monday.

The statement included three letter excerpts from fans of Native American descent, all either supporting the Redskins name or saying it was not offensive to them.

The Redskins also cited a 2004 survey that said 90 percent of Native Americans were not bothered by the Redskins name. The lawmakers' letter criticized the team for clinging to "decade-old public opinion polling."

Goodell has declined to take a formal stance on the debate in the past. Before the Super Bowl, he told reporters, "I've been spending the last year talking to many of the leaders in the Native American communities. We are trying to make sure we understand the issues. Let me remind you: This is the name of a football team, a football team that's had that name for 80 years and has presented the name in a way that it has honored Native Americans."

The lawmakers' letter rebutted Goodell's statement, calling the name "an insult to Native Americans."

Redskins owner Dan Snyder has been adamant that he won't change the name. But he has received steady pressure, and protests, over the past year. In May, 10 members of Congress sent letters to Snyder, Goodell, the 31 other owners and Redskins sponsor FedEx, urging the franchise to change the name. Cole was part of that group as well.

That group introduced a bill last March that would "cancel the federal registrations of trademarks using the word redskin in reference to Native Americans."

Redskins spokesman Tony Wyllie said in a statement, "With all the important issues Congress has to deal with such as a war in Afghanistan to deficits to health care, don't they have more important issues to worry about than a football team's name? And given the fact that the name of Oklahoma means 'Red People' in Choctaw, this request is a little ironic."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2014, 10:09:35 AM
The name will changed by the end of the decade I think. The pressure is just going to continue to mount.

Should have changed it twenty years ago.  Now the club is really going to get put through the shitter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

The individual franchises pay taxes, though.  What would be gained by removing the NFL's tax-exempt status?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 10, 2014, 11:29:35 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 10, 2014, 10:16:01 AM
Why's the NFL tax exempt?

In theory it is a non-profit.
In practice they have good lobbyists.
Is it just the NFL or all professional leagues?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on February 10, 2014, 01:17:10 PM
White guilt is a funny thing.

Eh if the name was the Kraut Jew Killers I would want that one changed to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

The NFL is NOT tax-exempt. Its revenues get get passed down to the teams and the teams pay taxes on it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 10, 2014, 11:47:37 AM
The individual franchises pay taxes, though.  What would be gained by removing the NFL's tax-exempt status?

Except the Green Bay Packers, of course.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive