N. Korea building missile launch pad capable of aiming at U.S.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 31, 2014, 07:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:37:26 PM
as i said to berkut, so far it has worked for several decades

Until the one time it doesn't.

Ed Anger

I wonder if Timmay is getting his emergency evacuation rickshaw and coolie ready for Foal Eagle '14.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: celedhring on January 31, 2014, 02:09:34 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 31, 2014, 12:00:15 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:06:11 AMSure by that definition, besides that war they started that killed millions, they are choir boys.  They are masters of provocation and saber rattling, if they were masters of aggression they would not exist anymore.

well, they're clearly not choir boys. my point is that anyone who worries about north korea launching a sudden invasion, or attack against japan/united states, doesn't understand north korea

The problem with being agressive and blustery and all saber rattling while not really intending to actually go to war is that sometimes the result is that you end up at war even when you don't set out to do so.

When you bluff enough, eventually someone is going to call you on it, and then you find yourself in a position where circumstances force your hand, or at least you perceive that they do.

How many wars have started throughout human history where the side that started the war never really intended to go to war to begin with, but got themselves to a position where they could not back down?

You have pretty much just described the offset of WWII, for starters.

Not really.  Hitler wasn't bluffing--he wanted war, and the British and French had given up on appeasing him.

Now if you'd said WWI, you'd be on firmer ground. 

celedhring

Pretty sure Hitler was confident on getting Gdansk without war, after all he got Austria, Czechoslovakia and Memel without war beforehand. Once he had committed himself, he couldn't back down. The French were still pushing for a negotiated solution until the eleventh hour, so it's not like Hitler had no reasons to believe the entente would back down once again.

The French and British were so committed that we got the Phony War.

Eddie Teach

Except Hitler started the war and he could have backed down at any point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 01, 2014, 07:35:14 AM
Except Hitler started the war and he could have backed down at any point.

Well, the point I'm trying to make with the comparison regarding N. Korea is that Hitler got away with so much that he had no reason to back down, he thought the Allies would cave like they did all the times before. NK has got away with so much (really, can you imagine the reaction if some foreign power shelled your territory like NK did to SK?), that I believe that their leadership believe they can get away with anything sort of an invasion in order to extract concessions or build up domestic support.

dps

Quote from: celedhring on February 01, 2014, 06:43:59 AM
Pretty sure Hitler was confident on getting Gdansk without war, after all he got Austria, Czechoslovakia and Memel without war beforehand. Once he had committed himself, he couldn't back down. The French were still pushing for a negotiated solution until the eleventh hour, so it's not like Hitler had no reasons to believe the entente would back down once again.

Actually, he was afraid that they'd back down again.  He had decided that he wanted war in 1939, and was worried that the Allies would negotiate and give him everything he was demanding again.  A lot of his subordinates weren't really happy about it, because previously he had told them to plan for war starting in 1946 or so.

Razgovory

Yeah, he was a bit put out about the appeasement in 1938.  He was surprised in 1939, but was happy to get his war.  Hitler was, after all, insane.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

If Gdansk didn't spark his war, he'd have found something that did.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: dps on February 01, 2014, 07:13:16 PM

Actually, he was afraid that they'd back down again.  He had decided that he wanted war in 1939, and was worried that the Allies would negotiate and give him everything he was demanding again.  A lot of his subordinates weren't really happy about it, because previously he had told them to plan for war starting in 1946 or so.

He figured if he didn't get on with the war by then, he'd have no chance to win it. The mid 40's would have been way too late according to the possible buildup timeline. The longer they went, the worse chance Germany had to win.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 03, 2014, 10:47:42 PM

If Gdansk didn't spark his war, he'd have found something that did.

He was actually pissed off at the Sudeten crisis settlement during the Munich Conference, because he already wanted to go to war then.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Fair enough then, the version I've always read is the opposite; he didn't want war yet because Germany was unprepared.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2014, 03:08:43 AM
Fair enough then, the version I've always read is the opposite; he didn't want war yet because Germany was unprepared.

That's what his politicians and generals thought, during 1938.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.