N. Korea building missile launch pad capable of aiming at U.S.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 31, 2014, 07:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

LaCroix

it was a term used to avoid confusion, since i figured if i had said simply "attack," someone would point out the obvious - border incidents, etc. apparently it didn't work  :D

full out invasion, attack, etc. etc.

Razgovory

So now it's full out invasion?  You can't be aggressive without a "full out invasion"?  So if the US decided not to invade Iraq and just nuked it, that would not be an act of aggression?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

LaCroix

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 07:40:57 PM
As I pointed out the US hasn't been the aggressor in a "full out war" for a long time.

Yeah, but Iraq 2003 feels like it was just yesterday.

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 08:42:18 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 08:41:23 PM
So now it's full out invasion?

Quote from: LaCroixfull out invasion, attack, etc. etc.

Yes, I got that part.  Sinking someone's ship or dropping artillery on someone's town is also an "attack".

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2014, 08:43:07 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 07:40:57 PM
As I pointed out the US hasn't been the aggressor in a "full out war" for a long time.

Yeah, but Iraq 2003 feels like it was just yesterday.

It does don't it? :(

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 08:51:27 PMYes, I got that part.  Sinking someone's ship or dropping artillery on someone's town is also an "attack".

nuclear attacks tend to be considered a larger scale attacks, unlike sinking a ship or lobbing a few shells at an island

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:03:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 08:51:27 PMYes, I got that part.  Sinking someone's ship or dropping artillery on someone's town is also an "attack".

nuclear attacks tend to be considered a larger scale attacks, unlike sinking a ship or lobbing a few shells at an island

So?  Aggression is not a matter of scale, it's a matter of intent and action.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 09:11:02 PMSo?  Aggression is not a matter of scale, it's a matter of intent and action.

of course aggression is a matter of scale

intent to start a war, and the act to follow through with that intent
intent to provoke, and the act to follow through with that intent
intent to scare, and the...

etc.

i'm not sure where you're going with this

Razgovory

Where I'm going is that sinking a warship or shelling a town are acts of aggression.  To argue otherwise is absurd.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2014, 09:22:16 PM
Where I'm going is that sinking a warship or shelling a town are acts of aggression.  To argue otherwise is absurd.

of course they're acts of aggression...

but they do not necessarily have to be part of all out warfare. one can commit an aggressive act without intending for there to be war

CountDeMoney

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:24:04 PM
one can commit an aggressive act without intending for there to be war

That's assuming that the other side will play along with your script when it comes to escalation.  That's very Chinese of you.

LaCroix

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 31, 2014, 09:32:13 PMThat's assuming that the other side will play along with your script when it comes to escalation.  That's very Chinese of you.

as i said to berkut, so far it has worked for several decades