N. Korea building missile launch pad capable of aiming at U.S.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 31, 2014, 07:41:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'll believe the missiles can reach the US only once we have a few successful tests. Nevertheless, get ready for the annual media barrage from N. Korea over the coming annual joint military exercise, hopefully it will be less crazy than last year.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/30/22506777-n-korea-building-missile-launch-pad-capable-of-aiming-at-us-report?lite
QuoteN. Korea building missile launch pad capable of aiming at U.S.: report

By Alexander Smith, NBC News contributor

North Korea is improving one of its missile launch sites and may soon be able to fire rockets large enough to hit mainland United States, according to experts.

Recent satellite images appear to show that one of the country's launch stations has been modified to accommodate an intercontinental missile 25 percent larger than one it fired into space in Dec. 2012, according to a report by Johns Hopkins University's U.S.-Korea Institute (USKI) published Wednesday.

The report added that the launch pad, which could be ready as early as March, would allow for "a more robust rocket test program in the future involving larger space launch vehicles and road-mobile ballistic missiles able to attack targets in Northeast Asia and the United States."

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper warned the Senate Intelligence Committee on Wednesday that North Korea had gone through with its threat to continue its nuclear weapons program, posing "a serious threat to the United States and to the security environment in East Asia."

The satellite images appeared to show that North Korea has also tested a rocket engine for a new road-mobile intercontinental missile called the KN-08, the report said. Rockets have been displayed at parades in the capital Pyongyang but analysts have speculated these were mock-ups.

Outwardly, however, North Korea is on something of a charm offensive, having hosted the press in New York, London and Beijing in the past week.

North Korea's ambassador to the U.K., Hyun Hak-bong, gave an interview to Sky News on Thursday in which he blamed the U.S. for its hostile policies. He said his country had "no option but to have the nuclear deterrent."

The North sent the South an open letter earlier this month in which it called for an end to hostilities. The letter warned that the tense stand-off between the two nations could lead to "an all-out...nuclear war" from which "no Korean can escape."

It comes ahead of the annual joint military exercises between the U.S. and South Korea. Last year more than 10,000 American personnel participated. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un responded with a series of internationally-condemned missile tests and suggested he was about to launch a nuclear attack.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

I'm totally willing believe they have missiles that can hit the US.
Anything with more accuracy than hitting the right country however....no.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

LaCroix

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:22:32 AM
overall, NK is a defensive power, not aggressive

I suppose in the sense of not actually attacking anybody.  In every other sense they are pretty aggressive.  Government sponsored counterfeit schemes, selling nuclear technology, participating in the drug trade, and kidnapping foreign nationals: those are pretty provocative and aggressive moves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 09:22:32 AM
overall, NK is a defensive power, not aggressive

Wonder why they keep building tunnels into the South, then.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

To stay even in the arms race, perhaps we should build a missile launch pad capable of reaching North Korea.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Quote from: alfred russel on January 31, 2014, 10:50:58 AM
To stay even in the arms race, perhaps we should build a missile launch pad capable of reaching North Korea.

We've got two: USS Antietam, and USS Shiloh. :contract:
Experience bij!

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on January 31, 2014, 10:49:55 AMWonder why they keep building tunnels into the South, then.

showing aggression and demonstrating they are willing to fight a war does not mean the nation is an aggressive power*

*"aggressive power" as i originally meant = the aggressor in a full out war, that they do not commit acts of aggression

Quote from: ValmyI suppose in the sense of not actually attacking anybody.  In every other sense they are pretty aggressive.  Government sponsored counterfeit schemes, selling nuclear technology, participating in the drug trade, and kidnapping foreign nationals: those are pretty provocative and aggressive moves.

many of those are ways for an already ostracized and economically unstable power to get a quick buck. see response to derspiess

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 11:02:47 AM
*"aggressive power" as i originally meant = the aggressor in a full out war, that they do not commit acts of aggression

Sure by that definition, besides that war they started that killed millions, they are choir boys.  They are masters of provocation and saber rattling, if they were masters of aggression they would not exist anymore.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 11:02:47 AM
showing aggression and demonstrating they are willing to fight a war does not mean the nation is an aggressive power*

I think the number and scale of the tunnels go a bit beyond that.  Each tunnel the North made has been large enough for an entire infantry division to pass through in one hour.  The KPA's posture, training & doctrine is at least as much offensive as defensive.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on January 31, 2014, 11:06:11 AMSure by that definition, besides that war they started that killed millions, they are choir boys.  They are masters of provocation and saber rattling, if they were masters of aggression they would not exist anymore.

well, they're clearly not choir boys. my point is that anyone who worries about north korea launching a sudden invasion, or attack against japan/united states, doesn't understand north korea

Quote from: derspiessI think the number and scale of the tunnels go a bit beyond that.  Each tunnel the North made has been large enough for an entire infantry division to pass through in one hour.  The KPA's posture, training & doctrine is at least as much offensive as defensive.

so, north korea preparing to win a war should war occur is proof they are likely to be the aggressor? i think most nations prepare to win wars

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 31, 2014, 11:19:42 AM
well, they're clearly not choir boys. my point is that anyone who worries about north korea launching a sudden invasion, or attack against japan/united states, doesn't understand north korea

I don't think anybody expects them to.  They just expect them to cause trouble and proliferate weapons of mass destruction.

Quoteso, north korea preparing to win a war should war occur is proof they are likely to be the aggressor? i think most nations prepare to win wars

Wait is North Korea under the impression they can win a war?