News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

They used to, but no cop has been respectful or nice to me in about 20 years. Over dozens of interactions with them. Except one gardai member in Ireland once.

I don't know if it's because cop culture changed in that time or if they stopped being nice once I was no longer a kid.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

HVC

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 20, 2014, 11:11:30 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2014, 10:36:55 PM
*edit* actually, no I had a bad experience with a bitch of a cop, but not in a capacity of her being a cop

How long did it last?
:lol: it was an incident where we were in a public park and some kids were antagonizing my dog (who was tied up). We warned the kids and eventually my dog jumped on a kid ( didn't bite just jumped). One of the mothers came over and started yelling and yanking my dog by the collar (pretty sure trying to get it to bite her).  Cops were called and it turns out she was a sergent or something. Cops where nice though, and in private told us she was a known bitch (that's how we found out she was a cop, the other cops told us).
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2014, 10:20:43 PM
Quote from: HVC on December 20, 2014, 10:08:11 PM
told his kid that because he's black the cops are going to shoot him... Or something.

Good grief, he didn't say that.  He said he's always told his son to be careful in dealing with the police. Which you should do anyway, even if you're a black teen son of the Mayor.

My Dad always told me the same thing too because I was the son of a cop.  You do what they say, and it's "yes sir, no sir" and keep your mouth shut after that.  You don't act all NWA or like a stupid white person.

Man, my dad told me that as well, and I'm white guy who is not related to any cops.  It's been my personal observation that when dealing with cops if you don't give shit, you won't get shit.  I'm always amazed by people who feel compelled to mouth off to the guy with a club and a gun.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

I was hoping that cops wouldn't be milking these deaths to get back at de Blasio.  I guess that was too much professionalism to expect from NYPD.  I hope Bratton cans every asshole caught turning their back on the mayor.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2014, 11:03:59 AM
I hope Bratton cans every asshole caught turning their back on the mayor.

Well here is the most that we've gotten from him so far.

http://www.today.com/news/nypd-chief-bill-bratton-police-tension-were-change-moment-1D80385634

QuoteAsked about the protests of officers who turned their backs on the mayor as he walked through a hospital on Saturday, Bratton said he doesn't "support that particular activity." The ambush murders of two New York City police officers is intensifying a rift between the mayor and members of the police force.

"I don't think it was appropriate, particularly in that setting, but it's reflective of the anger of some of them,'' Bratton said.

And:

QuoteOn whether the mayor should give a speech to police or apologize: "I don't know that an apology is necessary."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on December 20, 2014, 10:07:38 PM
Yeah, he was dissing the cops pretty badly from what I've heard, and the cops are damn pissed off at him before this shooting. Now he'll get a lot of blame for fanning the flames against the cops and sounds like he already is, along with others like Sharpton but especially the mayor.

Maybe they should start taking the shooting of citizens seriously.  People have been complaining about this for years and, for the most part, nothing was done about it.  Now that people are starting to get angry about it, so many of these police unions and departments continue to bunker under and refuse to deal with it. 

It is ridiculous, we are not asking for anything more than making sure the relationship between the communities and the police department remain good and people remain safe in their persons and property.  You know, exactly what the cops should consider their job #1 instead of covering their asses.  Silly me for thinking we were all on the same side.  So fuck those passive aggressive losers trying to intimidate the mayor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2014, 10:23:23 PM
Police union president told the Mayor not to attend any police funerals.  It's all politics, and rather childish at that.

Both guys seem like douchebags.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on December 22, 2014, 10:53:50 AM
Police union president told the Mayor not to attend any police funerals.  It's all politics, and rather childish at that.

Bratton and Patrick Lynch?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on December 22, 2014, 10:59:21 AM

No, de Blasio and Lynch.  Was Bratton mentioned in the text I quoted?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

This is derspiess, you know better than that.  :P

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2014, 11:07:59 AM

This is derspiess, you know better than that.  :P

Of course, but I don't really see how de Blasio is coming off as a dick here - and I generally don't even like the man. :D

Admiral Yi

He's coming off as a dick because he publicly dissed the NYPD, guys who are out on the streets facing danger under his control.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2014, 11:31:19 AM
He's coming off as a dick because he publicly dissed the NYPD, guys who are out on the streets facing danger under his control.

The NYPD is under his control, too.  He's their boss.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2014, 11:32:22 AM

I could have sworn I just said that.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2014, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 22, 2014, 11:32:22 AM

I could have sworn I just said that.

You said the danger was under his control, not the NYPD.