News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[de Blasio] Living in a post-Bloomberg era

Started by garbon, January 30, 2014, 12:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on May 12, 2014, 08:41:27 PMAgreed on that point.  One of the things about the left that I find annoying is that people think that by getting on a euphemism treadmill you're going to solve the problem being described.  They don't realize that it just breeds resentment for the left's ideas.

No one thinks they are going to solve the problem by getting on the euphemism treadmill. People adopt new terms to communicate nuances of perception, politics, and social positioning in the moment of communication.

As derspiess correctly points out, it is about dignity.

If you believe that people who perform sexual services for money are not unworthy human beings and should be accorded the same dignity as everybody else, and you think those issues of worth and dignity are worth addressing, and you wish to communicate that attitude then you use the term sex worker. The needs and experiences of the sex workers are likely one of the primary concerns of the conversation using that term.

When you use the term prostitute, you are signalling that you are unconcerned with the dignity and worth of the people providing the services and that you are fine with the general low status and bad treatment they receive. In general the conversation is going to be about the needs of the customers, people other than the prostitutes themselves, or society in general; or perhaps you are discussing the personal or social tragedy of prostitution, and see the prostitutes as victims.

If you call them whores you are actively denigrating the people providing the service, either because you think it is just that they are denigrated or because it turns you on to denigrate them. If you are using that term you are either casting aspersions in someone by likening them to something unworthy, or revelling in your economic and/or social power by unashamedly treating other human beings as consumable products.

Obviously that changes with individuals and the context in which the terms are used, but in broad strokes those are the signalling uses of the terms here and now. The fact that the terminology may shift in X years is of little importance in how they are used; the point of signalling values are what they mean in the moment they are used.

garbon

I don't know that's true about prostitute. It is the most common term so I'm not sure I agree that using it means a person is signalling they don't care about them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

I pick 'cum dumpsters' as the term I use.

Plz analyze that term.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2014, 09:53:45 PM

Plz analyze that term.

All sex isn't prostitution. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on May 12, 2014, 09:53:19 PM
I don't know that's true about prostitute. It is the most common term so I'm not sure I agree that using it means a person is signalling they don't care about them.

I edited that section a bit. I think 'prostitute' tends to carry either a connotation of no thought really given, or of viewing prostitutes as victims of a social or personal tragedy.

That said, you are right that as the most common term it is used with a wider range if attitudes. It definitely does lack the explicit subtext of dignity which derspiess objects to with 'sex worker' to my ears.

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 12, 2014, 09:53:45 PM

Plz analyze that term.

You have an active fantasy life.

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

derspiess

For the record, I think prostitution should be legalized.  Limit it to certain areas, regulate it, etc. but it's pointless to make it completely illegal. 

Here in Cincy they recently cracked down on a crappy section of town that was rife with prostitutes.  Hookers just dispersed out to nicer neighborhoods to ply their avocation and now the problem is arguably worse.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2014, 09:48:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 12, 2014, 08:41:27 PMAgreed on that point.  One of the things about the left that I find annoying is that people think that by getting on a euphemism treadmill you're going to solve the problem being described.  They don't realize that it just breeds resentment for the left's ideas.

No one thinks they are going to solve the problem by getting on the euphemism treadmill. People adopt new terms to communicate nuances of perception, politics, and social positioning in the moment of communication.

As derspiess correctly points out, it is about dignity.

If you believe that people who perform sexual services for money are not unworthy human beings and should be accorded the same dignity as everybody else, and you think those issues of worth and dignity are worth addressing, and you wish to communicate that attitude then you use the term sex worker. The needs and experiences of the sex workers are likely one of the primary concerns of the conversation using that term.

When you use the term prostitute, you are signalling that you are unconcerned with the dignity and worth of the people providing the services and that you are fine with the general low status and bad treatment they receive. In general the conversation is going to be about the needs of the customers, people other than the prostitutes themselves, or society in general; or perhaps you are discussing the personal or social tragedy of prostitution, and see the prostitutes as victims.

If you call them whores you are actively denigrating the people providing the service, either because you think it is just that they are denigrated or because it turns you on to denigrate them. If you are using that term you are either casting aspersions in someone by likening them to something unworthy, or revelling in your economic and/or social power by unashamedly treating other human beings as consumable products.

Obviously that changes with individuals and the context in which the terms are used, but in broad strokes those are the signalling uses of the terms here and now. The fact that the terminology may shift in X years is of little importance in how they are used; the point of signalling values are what they mean in the moment they are used.

What term do I use if I think those engaged in prostitution are victims, both of their own personal circumstances that lead them to their present situation, and of the various pimps and johns who force themselves on them? :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I think "hooker" is a good term to use, as the only implicit slur is the suggestion that they'd be poor at commanding armies.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2014, 10:54:14 PM
What term do I use if I think those engaged in prostitution are victims, both of their own personal circumstances that lead them to their present situation, and of the various pimps and johns who force themselves on them? :)

You tell me :)

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 12, 2014, 11:00:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 12, 2014, 10:54:14 PM

You tell me :)

If you have to use just one word, prostitute is probably it, but the term "victim of sexual exploitation" is better.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

To me, using the word "sex worker" adds a layer of voluntariness to it, that's not always present. Imho it obfuscates some of the oppression present in the pimp-prostitute relationship presenting it like a normal business.

Again, I have nothing against prostitution per se if all partners are equally willing. If all prostitutes were truly "sex workers" it would be less of a problem.