Main Menu

Ideal Retirement Location?

Started by Queequeg, January 29, 2014, 03:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

What took you to Costa Rica Guppy?

Josquius

Cornwall maybe.
Warm weather, rural, pretty. Though maybe a bit much rain outside of summer given it is on the west coast. Northern New Zealand somewhere maybe. Or France but for the French.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2014, 04:40:50 AM
What took you to Costa Rica Guppy?

Just had a couple of weeks holiday there - maybe 15 years ago. Loved it. Beach, forests, volcanos. Don't really know it well enough to think of it has a retirement place.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 29, 2014, 04:17:58 AM
I would probably do a snowbird kind of deal: summer in a temperate city (Paris?), winter in the tropics.

Summers, specially hot ones, are awful in Paris, as in any major city. Cool weather is preferable in these places, even more so for old people.

Richard Hakluyt

I might commute, summer in England followed by summer in New Zealand  :cool:

Brazen

Languedoc. And if I win the lottery a pied a terre in St Andrews.

Capetan Mihali

Somewhere mild but rainy, where I can be calm and do some thinking... I've never been, but I'd be willing to give Atlantic/Biscayan Spain a try, maybe Asturias? :)  Or Galicia, of course, not to snub Larch.  :P  And I actually have a long-lost friend originally from A Coruña who might give me advice.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Normandie. Cool summer temps and I can pretend I'm defending a hedgerow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 29, 2014, 09:07:07 AM
Somewhere mild but rainy, where I can be calm and do some thinking... I've never been, but I'd be willing to give Atlantic/Biscayan Spain a try, maybe Asturias? :)  Or Galicia, of course, not to snub Larch.  :P  And I actually have a long-lost friend originally from A Coruña who might give me advice.

I'd take you out for some drinks and local food, in order to repay the Philly cheesesteaks. :cheers:

Gups

You can't beat San Sebastian IMO. The food :licklips:

Valmy

Nice.

It is France but with amazing pizza.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Like the other Brits, probably South of France.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 29, 2014, 09:28:05 AM
Like the other Brits, probably South of France.

I will challenge you to a game of Pétanque.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: The Larch on January 29, 2014, 09:11:40 AM

I'd take you out for some drinks and local food, in order to repay the Philly cheesesteaks. :cheers:

You can take me to that tapas stand that has a whole bunch of plaques commemorating fallen members of the Guardia Civil and with walls covered in badges of different departments across Spain... oh wait. 

;)
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Scipio

Belize.

Or a wet county in Mississippi where there's cheap dirt, a brewery, and an Orthodox church.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt