News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ideal Retirement Location?

Started by Queequeg, January 29, 2014, 03:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Surprised no one is saying Sardinia, Sicily or Tuscany. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Maggot cheese, mobsters and wops.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on January 29, 2014, 06:03:43 PM
All of them are nice.

To be honest I could happily retire anywhere (reasonably pro-gay) by the sea south of La Rochelle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Staying in North America, I think I wouldn't mind an unconstrained version the Canadian snowbird lifestyle. :Canuck: 

Maybe 8 months split between MontrĂ©al and Nova Scotia, 4 months somewhere nice in Florida -- the Keys sound great, but of the places I've been I'd pick St. Pete Beach (where there are, coincidentally, plenty of Canadian snowbirds and a couple of Francophone motels).  Home of the illustrious Don CeSar (sic) Hotel:

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2014, 05:31:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
Sandy ego.

Also disappointed that the first two states KRonn mentioned are two that often vie for worst state in the union.

I've only spent minutes inside of Arizona, so I can't speak to that one, but Florida?  :huh:

Garbon refuses to go anywhere without his hoodie.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Maybe Flagstaff AZ, where it's dry but has all the seasons in reasonable doses, or Nantucket Island, where I can drink myself to death in dreary New England weather.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2014, 09:14:33 PM
or Nantucket Island, where I can drink myself to death in dreary New England weather.

Okay, CountdeCheever.  :P
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 29, 2014, 10:23:49 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 29, 2014, 09:14:33 PM
or Nantucket Island, where I can drink myself to death in dreary New England weather.

Okay, CountdeCheever.  :P

Well, we are talking retirement.  On a long enough timeline it's all hospice anyway.

Barrister

I realize I only mentioned "Italy" in my realistic retirement scenario, but I actually meant Tuscany.

Being on an island would be a bit limiting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Iormlund

Quote from: Barrister on January 30, 2014, 12:30:24 AM
Being on an island would be a bit limiting.

We keep Germans retirees in the Balearic and Canary Islands, but we let them out from time to time.

crazy canuck

I prefer Umbria to Tuscany.  Less North American tourists.  I would also consider something on the Adriatic coast.  Even less English speaking tourists.

sbr

I get enough toxic waste during my working years, was hoping to get away from it in retirement.

alfred russel

Quote from: Queequeg on January 30, 2014, 01:57:35 AM
RyanAir.

Is this like the modern version of getting put on an ice floe and left to drift away?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Maybe he would like to live like George Clooney in Up in the Air, minus the firing people bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?