News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ideal Retirement Location?

Started by Queequeg, January 29, 2014, 03:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Bilbao area of Spain, California Coast up by PDH.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Some time in a major city, some time in pleasant rural environment, some time near my direct descendants and other close family, where ever they end up.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 29, 2014, 01:44:21 PM
Away from languishites.

You're already retired, and you're already away from languishites. Mission accomplished :cheers:

Ed Anger

Spicy and Cal are almost intolerably close.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 29, 2014, 01:47:05 PM

That would unsettle me as well.

alfred russel

The Danakil Depression for me. I need to get ready for the afterlife.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 29, 2014, 01:47:05 PM

And we've nearly triangulated your position.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Heh, I'm close to retirement but haven't given much thought to where I want to spend a lot of time. My brother and his wife spend winter in Florida, and I have friends in Arizona. So I'd be going to one of those, and I'd also like to check out Southern California.

Savonarola

If money were no object, I'd spend my summer in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula, autumn in Paris, winter here in Florida and spring in...

London, maybe? :unsure: Robert Browning made it sound nice.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

One of my favourite pubs was the Robert Browning. Last time I went it had been renamed the Eagle. Though they hadn't changed any of the decoration so it still featured two Robert Browning stained glass windows and one of Elizabeth too.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Sandy ego.

Also disappointed that the first two states KRonn mentioned are two that often vie for worst state in the union.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
Sandy ego.

Also disappointed that the first two states KRonn mentioned are two that often vie for worst state in the union.

I've only spent minutes inside of Arizona, so I can't speak to that one, but Florida?  :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on January 29, 2014, 05:31:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 29, 2014, 05:26:34 PM
Sandy ego.

I've only spent minutes inside of Arizona, so I can't speak to that one, but Florida?  :huh:
https://twitter.com/_FloridaMan
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

Quote from: Gups on January 29, 2014, 09:23:20 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 29, 2014, 09:07:07 AM
Somewhere mild but rainy, where I can be calm and do some thinking... I've never been, but I'd be willing to give Atlantic/Biscayan Spain a try, maybe Asturias? :)  Or Galicia, of course, not to snub Larch.  :P  And I actually have a long-lost friend originally from A Coruña who might give me advice.

You can't beat San Sebastian IMO. The food :licklips:

San Sebastián is great, yeah. You can have fantastic food anywhere in Spain, by the way.

When I was a kid my dad took me on a summer trip camping through the North. We visited Euskadi, Cantabria, Asturias, Galicia and came back via Castille & León. Two thousand miles of mild oceanic weather, lots of interesting history and ridiculously good food. One of the best vacations ever.