News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2014, 07:52:34 PM
So sad that people are blaming obama for his failures and voting in such a way that it will be even harder for him to do anything.
Enjoy a few years of no government yanks! :cheers:

I didn't want anything he had on offer. :blurgh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2014, 07:52:04 PM
They don't allow folks to vote electronically these days?

You shouldn't actually have to be present if you're ill.

It's the United States Senate, not America's Got Talent.

Admiral Yi

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I predict there will be less gridlock than people are saying. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on November 05, 2014, 08:32:42 PM

If it gets the TPP through relatively fast, it will almost be worth the subsequent investigations and impeachment proceedings.

Admiral Yi

Depends what you mean by gridlock.  If no one proposes any legislation is it still gridlock?

About the only thing I can see being passed is trade treaties, as Joan mentioned.

garbon

Anyway, I would love to have the Republicans look foolish next year so that it can prepare the way for the rightful coronation. Something that should have taken place say in '08. :mad:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Well, some people are saying there will be even more gridlock than there has been the past few years, but that's not really possible, so I guess that's a good prediction.

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2014, 07:50:44 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2014, 05:15:31 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 05, 2014, 12:39:37 AM
Quote from: sbr on November 04, 2014, 11:47:40 PM
Medical Marijuana failed in Florida.
They got 57%, why did they need 60%?

State constitutional amendments in Florida require a 60% super majority.
It seems ridiculous that one has to amend the state constitution to legalize weed. Can't that be done with normal legislation?

Sure, but it won't be; at least not in the foreseeable future.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Is criminalization of weed currently in the Florida constitution? :unsure:

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2014, 10:02:59 PM
Is criminalization of weed currently in the Florida constitution? :unsure:

By no means am I an expert on Florida constitutional law, but my guess is probably not--this was an attempt to by-pass the legislature and put a provision in the state constitution taking the power to criminalize weed away from the legislature.

alfred russel

There should be a 60% threshold on all referenda. Maybe higher, or maybe we should just get rid of them.

We just got a constitutional amendment prohibiting the legislature from raising income taxes.

I don't know if there have been constitutional amendments, but there have been previous property tax cuts on the ballot, and those always seem to pass.

Anyone who knows anything about Atlanta, knows traffic gridlock, and no reasonable public transportation. The transportation network is past the breaking point. There was recently a special election for a metro atlanta 1% sales tax to fund a transportation upgrade. Every major leader, Republican and Democrat, supported it. Major employers and the chamber of commerce begged people to support it. The result? Crushing defeat.

It is a terrible way to govern. Voters are going to chip away at the tax base until our government services are (even more) crippled.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

I read that in Washington, they had 2 proposals on the ballot:
1) prohibiting required background checks for gun purchases,
2) requiring background checks for gun purchases

It turned out that 1) failed and 2) passed. But, apparently polling indicated that there was a chance that both would pass. Possibly some people were confused by the wording, possibly the polls were wrong, or possibly voters are just stupid.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014