News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 Election Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, January 26, 2014, 08:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Nate Silver already called it for McConnell. It's the only call he's made so far.

Edit: Tea Party fail?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2014, 01:00:38 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on November 04, 2014, 11:39:50 AM
This I will agree with. But, what is the cause for the Dems to take a big hit like this? Are they just as disconnected?

Every two-term President since Eisenhower has had both houses of Congress in the opposition's hands during the last two years of office.  It's just what we do.  It's come down to be a normal aspect of business.  That, plus the demographics of off-year voters, the wasted Democratic votes, burnout, etc.

Personally, I'm wondering if amending the Constitution for one 6-year term as opposed to the 4+4 option wouldn't work out better for our Presidential politics, and get more shit done.
Eh, he'd be a lame duck immediately. What we need to do is repeal the 22nd amendment. 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

LOL, The Angry Potato just called John Kasich "Rick Santorum without the insanity."

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2014, 07:40:00 PM
Eh, he'd be a lame duck immediately. What we need to do is repeal the 22nd amendment.
:yes: Bubba 4 Life. :smoke:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on November 04, 2014, 07:45:22 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 04, 2014, 07:40:00 PM
:yes: Bubba 4 Life. :smoke:

Right sentiment, wrong Clinton.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

btw, I have a feeling that I'm the only person in the United States who has voted for both Ted Kennedy and Mitch McConnell for US Senate. :)

MadImmortalMan

Do you think Grimes was hurt by having a compound name? I know a lot of people who will vote against a person reflexively if they have that. Kentucky seems like exactly the type of place that would happen.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2014, 08:32:06 PM
Do you think Grimes was hurt by having a compound name? I know a lot of people who will vote against a person reflexively if they have that. Kentucky seems like exactly the type of place that would happen.

It's Kentucky.  She's a woman.

Caliga

She was probably hurt more by having Hillary campaign for her for some idiotic reason, and also for refusing to answer a reporter's question about whether she had voted for Obama in 2012. :sleep:

11B4V

QuoteSmoking pot without a doctor's note? Right now that's only legal in Colorado and Washington. But that could change soon.

Voters in Alaska, Oregon and the District of Columbia will vote Tuesday on whether to legalize recreational marijuana.

Proposals in Alaska and Oregon will let adults 21 and older buy up to one ounce of marijuana at a time. They'll also regulate pot retailers much the way they do liquor stores, requiring shops to get a license and pay state taxes on the marijuana they sell.

Washington, D.C.'s legislation, on the other hand, won't actually allow anyone to sell marijuana. But it would make it legal for anyone to possess less than two ounces of pot. If voters approve the measure, it will be up to the D.C. Council to set up a system to regulate businesses and sales.

Alaska, Oregon and D.C. have already legalized medical marijuana, along with 21 other states. Florida is voting on that measure Tuesday.

Advocates say legalizing pot diverts money from drug cartels and puts it into the hands of licensed business owners and, by way of taxation, the state. In fact, Colorado brought in about $38 million in tax revenue on marijuana sales made through August, the most recent numbers available. Some of that is slated for new schools.

Pot will drive more tax revenue, but it also requires regulatory oversight, which adds to a state's expenses. So it's not clear just how much of a financial windfall legalizing it will actually be for states.

For instance, some of the funds raised in Colorado are funding an agency that issues licenses for retailers and growers. Money will also be steered to education programs teaching kids to stay away from drugs.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 04, 2014, 08:35:10 PM

It's Kentucky.  She's a woman.

Well I mean it's more of a why don't you have your husband's name, are you anti family? That sort of thing.

Caliga

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 04, 2014, 08:36:49 PM
Well I mean it's more of a why don't you have your husband's name, are you anti family? That sort of thing.
It's probably because her dad is Jerry Lundergan, who was chairman of the Kentucky Democratic party at one point.