News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

UKIP disown entire manifesto

Started by Sheilbh, January 23, 2014, 11:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

QuoteNigel Farage disowns Ukip's entire 2010 election manifesto
Ukip leader says all policies are under review and he will not commit to new ones until after European elections
theguardian.com, Thursday 23 January 2014 13.45 GMT

Nigel Farage has disowned his party's 2010 election manifesto after he was asked whether the UK Independence party still wanted to bring in a flat tax, introduce a dress code for taxi drivers, regularly deploy armed forces on the street and repaint trains in traditional colours.

The Ukip leader said all of the party's policies were under review and he would not commit to new ones until after the European elections in May this year.

Speaking on BBC2's Daily Politics, Farage pointed out he was not in charge of the party in 2010 as he was just a candidate – despite having previously led the group between 2006 and 2009.

"I don't defend the 2010 manifesto, I didn't put it together. But it will be similar in flavour [in 2015]," he said.

The MEP floundered as he was asked about the party's proposal to scrap Trident, saying he was not sure where the interviewer had got this suggestion from.

When told it was on the Ukip website, he said: "When it comes to websites, I'm not the expert."

Challenged over a compulsory dress code for taxi drivers, he said: "Do we? News to me ... look, under the last leadership and in the 2010 election we managed to present a manifesto that was 486 pages long. So you can quote me all sorts of bits of it that I will not know. That's why I've said none of it stands today and we will launch it all after the European elections."

Asking about a policy to repaint trains in traditional colours, Farage said: "I've never read that. I've no idea what you're talking about."

However, Farage said it was not "obvious nonsense" that he could cut £90bn of taxes and increase spending by £30bn, even though that would be "ambitious".

Asked for a concrete example of a policy that would be in the 2015 manifesto, the Ukip leader said he would bring back grammar schools as well as leaving the EU.

Farage was also attacked on the programme for his comments about women in the City being "worth less" to employers after they have had children.

Louise Cooper, a financial analyst, said he should be ashamed of setting back the cause of young women who might want to pursue jobs in the City, including his own daughters.

However, the Ukip leader defended his comments from a speech last week, saying the gap in pay between men and women was just "the way the world works" because of biology.
My favourite UKIP policy was their pledge to make the Circle Line a Circle again :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Zanza

The article says Guardian, but it sounds like the Onion.

derspiess

A nursery rhyme is really like a politicians speech
Makes as much sense as counting pebbles on a beach
And if you don't believe me, then check the manifesto
Just blah blah blah, and blah blah blah, the truth I don't think so
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

:lol:

As Franz-Josef Strauß once said: "What do I care about my gibberish from yesterday?"

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

What's wrong with repainting the trains?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on January 23, 2014, 12:36:14 PM
:lol:

As Franz-Josef Strauß once said: "What do I care about my gibberish from yesterday?"

"Mit aller Kraft für Deutschland?"  Looks like the only Kraft he's got are the dump truck loads of mac & cheese he's been devouring. :P
Experience bij!

Ideologue

What's wrong with soldiers on the streets?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on January 23, 2014, 10:05:26 PM
What's wrong with soldiers on the streets?

As long as they are a freak in the sheets. :ccr
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 23, 2014, 09:23:05 PM"Mit aller Kraft für Deutschland?"  Looks like the only Kraft he's got are the dump truck loads of mac & cheese he's been devouring. :P

He had a long and storied career as politician in Germany. When Spiegel published an article about the sorry state of the Bundeswehr in the 60s he was defense minister. He requested the magazine's offices be raided and the chief editor be arrested (he was held for 100+ days). Eventually he had to admit having lied to parliament and had to step down. He was also implicated in the Lockheed bribery scandals, and a lobbyist accused him and his party accepting $10,000,000 to "encourage" purchase of the F-104 Starfighter. He was also involved in the Airbus Affair.

He was a prime rival of Helmut Kohl and sort of the founder of the tradition that the prime minister of Bavaria is (almost) always against what happens on a federal level. He's highly regarded and revered in his home state of Bavaria where he was prime minister for 10 years until his death in '88. When he died my dad commented that it was probably a combination of stuck Weißwurst and accumulated beer fumes in his guts that did him in.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on January 23, 2014, 11:29:56 PM
He had a long and storied career as politician in Germany. When Spiegel published an article about the sorry state of the Bundeswehr in the 60s he was defense minister. He requested the magazine's offices be raided and the chief editor be arrested (he was held for 100+ days). Eventually he had to admit having lied to parliament and had to step down. He was also implicated in the Lockheed bribery scandals, and a lobbyist accused him and his party accepting $10,000,000 to "encourage" purchase of the F-104 Starfighter. He was also involved in the Airbus Affair.

He was a prime rival of Helmut Kohl and sort of the founder of the tradition that the prime minister of Bavaria is (almost) always against what happens on a federal level. He's highly regarded and revered in his home state of Bavaria where he was prime minister for 10 years until his death in '88. When he died my dad commented that it was probably a combination of stuck Weißwurst and accumulated beer fumes in his guts that did him in.

* DontSayBanana sighs

:angry: Vielleicht ich wollte Witze machen um fetten Leuten und Makkaroni mit Käse.  Es ist ein Amerikaner Ding.

Urteilen mir nicht. :P

Experience bij!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 23, 2014, 11:51:42 PM

* DontSayBanana sighs

:angry: Vielleicht ich wollte Witze machen um fetten Leuten und Makkaroni mit Käse.  Es ist ein Amerikaner Ding.

Urteilen mir nicht. :P

I'm German. I don't do that joke and humor stuff.
—Stephen Jay Gould