What was in that grog? Scientists analyze ancient Nordic drink

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 11:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

I always have a beer/glass of wine when having a social lunch (aka, not eating my sandwich alone) with workmates or whoever. Heck, one of the companies I worked for provided beer/wine/cider for free at the office lounge alongside non-alcoholic beverages. People are expected to know their limits.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2014, 03:16:08 PM
I always have a beer/glass of wine when having a social lunch (aka, not eating my sandwich alone) with workmates or whoever. Heck, one of the companies I worked for provided beer/wine/cider for free at the office lounge alongside non-alcoholic beverages. People are expected to know their limits.
Here we are expected to know that our limit is zero.  :)

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 17, 2014, 03:18:30 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2014, 03:16:08 PM
Here we are expected to know that our limit is zero.  :)

How un-Ukrainian.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on January 16, 2014, 07:46:11 PM
But agents to add a bitter element were common.  The Franks had hops (for instance), and if they were growing them I would think they used them.  Adding something to add to the bitterness would be perfectly natural.  Given that there is no recipe, but only residue, the whole question is moot anyway - analysis will always be imperfect in this respect.

If Dogfish Head or derspiess were to make the argument that the hops were added to replace another, unusable, bittering agent, then adding the hops wouldn't be an issue.  That's not the case, though.  We don't know why DH added the hops, and spicey's argument is that the drink would taste bad without hops (of course, he also argues that one could detect the hops in the taste, but I don't expect perfectly consistent arguments  :D ).  The issue of imperfect analysis is valid to the extent that DH shouldn't really be claiming that they are re-creating a drink to which they lack a recipe, but I think that everyone in the discussion (and the story) is assuming that the analysis is good enough to re-create the brew.  The point is that even perfect analysis wouldn't show hops in the ancient recipe, which by itself makes the "re-creation" something of a fraud.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Again-- if you really want to know the answer, by all means ask them. 

If they were making a batch for a bunch of history professors to try, that would be one thing.  Otherwise, you're just being way too nitpicky.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on January 17, 2014, 03:20:07 PM
Quote from: PDH on January 16, 2014, 07:46:11 PM
But agents to add a bitter element were common.  The Franks had hops (for instance), and if they were growing them I would think they used them.  Adding something to add to the bitterness would be perfectly natural.  Given that there is no recipe, but only residue, the whole question is moot anyway - analysis will always be imperfect in this respect.

If Dogfish Head or derspiess were to make the argument that the hops were added to replace another, unusable, bittering agent, then adding the hops wouldn't be an issue.  That's not the case, though. 

No, but I did.  :glare:

QuoteWe don't know why DH added the hops, and spicey's argument is that the drink would taste bad without hops (of course, he also argues that one could detect the hops in the taste, but I don't expect perfectly consistent arguments  :D ).  The issue of imperfect analysis is valid to the extent that DH shouldn't really be claiming that they are re-creating a drink to which they lack a recipe, but I think that everyone in the discussion (and the story) is assuming that the analysis is good enough to re-create the brew.  The point is that even perfect analysis wouldn't show hops in the ancient recipe, which by itself makes the "re-creation" something of a fraud.

It would be a fraud if the hops weren't mentioned. Since they were, it's simply a stylistic change from one understanding of the ancient recipe.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Barrister

The small town firm I worked at not only had a well-stocked beer fridge for after work, but the senior lawyers would routinely have a beer for lunch (as long as you weren't in court in the afternoon).

No way that'd fly at the Crown's office. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2014, 04:29:21 PM
The small town firm I worked at not only had a well-stocked beer fridge for after work, but the senior lawyers would routinely have a beer for lunch (as long as you weren't in court in the afternoon).

Scotch, then?  :unsure:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on January 17, 2014, 04:33:18 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 17, 2014, 04:29:21 PM

Scotch, then?  :unsure:

Crown Royal, they're expected to obey cultural content laws.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Grey Fox

Before we were bought out by Evil Corporate America, my workplace held weekly Wine tasting on Friday Lunch times.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.