What was in that grog? Scientists analyze ancient Nordic drink

Started by jimmy olsen, January 14, 2014, 11:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

But agents to add a bitter element were common.  The Franks had hops (for instance), and if they were growing them I would think they used them.  Adding something to add to the bitterness would be perfectly natural.  Given that there is no recipe, but only residue, the whole question is moot anyway - analysis will always be imperfect in this respect.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Quote from: PDH on January 16, 2014, 07:46:11 PM
But agents to add a bitter element were common.  The Franks had hops (for instance), and if they were growing them I would think they used them.  Adding something to add to the bitterness would be perfectly natural.  Given that there is no recipe, but only residue, the whole question is moot anyway - analysis will always be imperfect in this respect.

:yes:

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2014, 07:33:06 PM
Probably even more special if one didn't pointedly add "imperfections". ;)

But I'm not sure that they did. As I said, they did use bittering agents that preserved the beer, just like hops. And we know that hops was used in some beers as far back as 900-ish AD (it's documented by monks of the period). It's not a huge leap to use some hops to approximate the taste of the period.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Speaking of beer, the US now has its own Trappist brewery :punk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on January 16, 2014, 07:46:11 PM

You are being very pointed.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: merithyn on January 16, 2014, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 16, 2014, 05:49:07 PM
Is 10% ABV realistic for something this old?  Seems awful high to me.

Only if you let it ferment longer than would have been done in period.

If you'll forgive my cynicism, I think they feel the need to crank up the ABV since the brew is going to taste so...distinctive...that most people won't be able to drink it in volume, and the brewery still wants to give them the requisite buzz.

Honestly, the alcohol level, if it's anachronistic, would strike me as the biggest distortion.  If it used to be a beverage that Joe Norseman quaffed from midnight sunrise to midnight sunfall, it's now closer to hard liquor than anything he drank.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

merithyn

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 17, 2014, 10:22:35 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 16, 2014, 06:36:33 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 16, 2014, 05:49:07 PM
Is 10% ABV realistic for something this old?  Seems awful high to me.

Only if you let it ferment longer than would have been done in period.

If you'll forgive my cynicism, I think they feel the need to crank up the ABV since the brew is going to taste so...distinctive...that most people won't be able to drink it in volume, and the brewery still wants to give them the requisite buzz.

Honestly, the alcohol level, if it's anachronistic, would strike me as the biggest distortion.  If it used to be a beverage that Joe Norseman quaffed from midnight sunrise to midnight sunfall, it's now closer to hard liquor than anything he drank.

I agree on both counts.

derspiess

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on January 17, 2014, 10:22:35 AM

I sort of agree.  Nobody is going to pay $14 for a bottle of 2.5% ABV beer.  But people aren't just chasing a buzz, per se, when they buy Dogfish Head.  It's more of a taste thing.

I stopped by one of my local beer stores last night & they actually had the Kvasir for $11.99/22 oz. bottle rather than the $13.99 price tag most places have.  I was tempted to try it but bought another bomber of Dogfish's Miles Davis Bitches Brew instead.  Tasty stuff.

QuoteHonestly, the alcohol level, if it's anachronistic, would strike me as the biggest distortion.  If it used to be a beverage that Joe Norseman quaffed from midnight sunrise to midnight sunfall, it's now closer to hard liquor than anything he drank.

Yep.  Joe Norseman was a session ale guy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Ok, all this beer talk has me wanting a cold historicaly inaccurate beer. Any beer will do, it is Friday after all.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

merithyn

Quote from: lustindarkness on January 17, 2014, 01:08:27 PM
Ok, all this beer talk has me wanting a cold historicaly inaccurate beer. Any beer will do, it is Friday after all.

I've been told by my boss that "a beer with lunch is fine, so long as that beer doesn't get you drunk".  Guess what I'm having with my sammich for lunch today....

:cool:

derspiess

With the increasing trend of canned craft beer (which btw tends not to look so much like a can of beer), it's a matter of time before I grab beer from the fridge instead of a Coke Zero to take in with my lunch :ph34r:

As cool as the idea sounds, I'd feel odd drinking even a single session ale with lunch.

garbon

I generally find wine, champ...sparkling wine, beer and cider all fair game for lunch.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

derspiess

Depends on the company and/or manager.  I've worked at places where they allow you up to 2 drinks at lunch and I've worked places where they're completely strict about it.  And then I've heard of several smaller companies where they have a beer/wine fridge and everyone drinks all afternoon on Fridays.

Jacob

Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2014, 02:04:07 PM
Wait, is beer/wine non-kosher for lunch nowadays?

It's a cultural thing - country-wise, industry-wise, and company-wise.

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on January 17, 2014, 02:04:07 PM
Wait, is beer/wine non-kosher for lunch nowadays?

I've always abstained to keep a clear head while I work. Today, I knew that I was done before I went to lunch. :P